Wall mounted clamp rack designs

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I did a search and most of the posts for designs on clamp racks were mobile. I need something I can hang on a wall or drops down from the ceiling (I have exposed beams in my workroom).

Any ideas or plans for a rack for clamps in the 6" to 4' and a few small spring clamps.

Thanks

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The walls in my garage shop are unfinished but what I did would work just as well on a finished wall as long as you can locate the studs.

I used lag bolts seated in holes drilled in 2x4's partially across the the 4" dimension (into the 2" dimension) with holes large enough that I could use a socket to drive the lag bolts. My 2x4s were about 4' long (wide) with 2 lag bolts spaced to hit the studs. Just let the clamps grip the 4" shelf formed by the 2x4s and you can rearrange them at will as needed. Cheap and effective.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Blow the picture up to see a simple solution using scrap plywood. Not pretty but functional. Excuse my mess. I'm reorganizing.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Similar design to Fred's but using french cleats for hanging the rack. The lower half of the cleat gets screwed to the wall studs and the upper half just hangs on that lower part. 2 x 4s work for heavier items and 1 x 4s are fine for lighter items.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The 'F' clamp racks are 3 deep. The spring clamp racks are 1/2" pipe screwed into a flange mounted to the wall.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I sometimes wish my clamps were so lightweight I could support them on dowels. Particularly when I'm putting them back on the rack.

1 clamprack1 - 1.jpg

1 clamprack1 - 2.jpg

1 clamprack1 - 3.jpg

1 clamprack2 - 1.jpg

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I need to do something nicer. Currently I just have 2x4 scraps screwed to the wall for the long clamps to hang from.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I need to do something nicer. Currently I just have 2x4 scraps screwed to the wall for the long clamps to hang from.
mine lay in a jumble on a shelf below the router... so anything is a step up from where I am today!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just got some of these:

Woodpeckers Clamp Rack-It ™

They bolt easily into a stud with a couple lag bolts or you can mount them closer together using some cross beams between studs.

I have a couple other store-bought brackets for Pipe clamps and such I think I got from rockler. And I've built some simple ones for the 6" Quick Clamps since I have a bunch of those that I use when doing segmented turnings.

I'll try to take a picture of them one of these days.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
You guys have such fancy clamp racks. For my pipe clamps I just have a 2x4 with notches cut in it. For the bar clamps I hang them from the pin in the tail of the bar on a plywood shelf with notches cut so it looks like a comb. All my racks were made out of scraps with as little cutting as I could get away with.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Mine is something similar to the one pictured.

Make it plenty big enough that is one mistake I made.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Mine is something similar to the one pictured.

Make it plenty big enough that is one mistake I made.
Apparently I shouldnt worry I could put all of mine one shelf. I have about 12 of those Irwin blue Quick Grips, 2 spring clips, and 4 longer bar ones and thats it. Clearly I need more clamps....

NOW TAKING DONATIONS! LOL

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There seems to be some very similar design parameters. No two shops will have the same resources, clamp inventory, or wall type.

Clamp racks are necessary
Wall racks take no floor space
Clamp inventory is always changing so:
keep it changeable
keep the racks disposable
simple strips for similar clamp types seems to be the most efficient.
Multiple clamps per slot
Clamp jaws don't have to be re-adjusted to fit in the holder. (handscrews excepted, those awkward things are problematic to store without some adjustment.)

There are some excellent examples shown in the photos above.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS