Getting out of woodworking

pensbystephen

New User
Yorkie
So, I've always been more of a penturner and have a business on the side to sell my pens. A few years ago i started getting into making chessboards and endgrain cutting boards.
I used the business to buy a ton of high end Powermatic and Jet tools and will be posting them for sale in a few weeks:
Delta Unisaw with 52" beisemeyer and all the options
Jet 15" 3HP bandsaw
Jet 22/44 drum sander
Jet 16" planer
Jet Edge belt sander
Powermatic 6" helical jointer
Router table with Mast-R-Lift 2 and every possible high end Jessem and woodpecker option/accessory
Plus, some high quality exotic lumber and all kinds of fences, miter guages and accessories.

Everything is lightly used and top of the line and very well cared for.

I'd love it if someone wants to take everything off my hands but for now I'm just letting everyone know I'll be selling them soon. Plus, I have to do 5 threads before I can put in marketplace so...:)

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome to the neighborhood yard sale. Looks like you have some great equipment and for a fair price you'll have lots of interest. Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye out.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear you are getting out of the business (and hobby). Will you still be turning pens? Any interest in sharing your experiences and/or why you are moving away from the sawdust?

pensbystephen

New User
Yorkie
I will go back to focusing on pens.
To be honest, I'm finding myself spending all my weekend covered in dust and not really enjoying it anymore. I can make a pen in 2 hours and sell it for $150 and it cost me $20 to make. One of my cutting boards or chessboards takes 2 full weekends, costs me $150 to make and I sell it for $400. As a business it doesn't make sense and it also means I'm working a 7 day week and not taking time to chill. Not sure if this helps or not.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
What with everyone having their noses stuck to their phones or tablets, Im surprised anyone even buys pens . I for one like a good pen and years ago my wife presented me with a Mount Blanc roller ball which I still have and its not been used but a couple of times in all the years. Beautiful pens Stephen.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Beautiful pens, some very nice work there. Where did you find the HMS and other battle ship blanks. I've seem where to get some of the USS NC.

pensbystephen

New User
Yorkie
Typically the battleships have a museum you can buy a block from and cut up.

The HMS Victory wood took me a year of negotiating to get a few pieces of and they are really cool pieces with certificates of provenance

rutherfordlorin538

New User
Red
I will go back to focusing on pens.
To be honest, I'm finding myself spending all my weekend covered in dust and not really enjoying it anymore. I can make a pen in 2 hours and sell it for $150 and it cost me $20 to make. One of my cutting boards or chessboards takes 2 full weekends, costs me $150 to make and I sell it for $400. As a business it doesn't make sense and it also means I'm working a 7 day week and not taking time to chill. Not sure if this helps or not.
I have some expensive and name brand and some r unique pens that im selling staedler, cross, zebra, bullet shaped gun pens, Sandford, levenger, rotoring, Alvin, Monte Verde, retro 1951 tornado, garland, etc

pensbystephen

New User
Yorkie
I have some expensive and name brand and some r unique pens that im selling staedler, cross, zebra, bullet shaped gun pens, Sandford, levenger, rotoring, Alvin, Monte Verde, retro 1951 tornado, garland, etc
Just to be sure, are you selling the pen kits? If so, how many and how much for each of the styles?
Thanks so much.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Would you be willing to share your pen kit source, please?

rutherfordlorin538

New User
Red
Just to be sure, are you selling the pen kits? If so, how many and how much for each of the styles?
Thanks so much.
[/QUOTE
The pens arent the kits nor r the pencils they are ink refills and lead pencil refills and eraser refills as well as already made fully functioning pens penciks and erasers name brand that r working and able to be used right when u get them.

rutherfordlorin538

New User
Red
Would you be willing to share your pen kit source, please?
The pens arent the kits nor r the pencils they are ink refills and lead pencil refills and eraser refills as well as already made fully functioning pens penciks and erasers name brand that r working and abke ti be used right when u get them.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
BTW, in case any of you Pen making people are interested, I have a large tub full of exotic Pen Blanks along with some Pen making tools and a few kits I'm looking to sell. I've gotten out of Pen making myself so they've been collecting dust for several years now. Feel free to send me a PM if interested. I'm in Chapel Hill. I'll see if I can find some Pics of what I have or I'll dig it out and take some pics.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS