Shop Build

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
It has taken a long time to get this project off the ground but here is goes. Had all the plans drawn up and approved by Chatham County by Jan 1. Had to wait out the monsoon season, and finally got the foundation done in mid April. This is where I am at as of today. Starting the electrical, doors and windows are on the way and the siding and trim shortly after. Putting wood on the walls. Looking at spray foam insulation and possibly a mini split unit. Open crawl so I am running dust control to vent outside, and some electrical under the floor. Am I forgetting something.

Attachments

• UvHPd39nSkOEX8xCChrs2Q.jpg
    UvHPd39nSkOEX8xCChrs2Q.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 576
  • TO7vVxr2Q3eUPA0UswfEEg.jpg
    TO7vVxr2Q3eUPA0UswfEEg.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 628
  • YarKb7VyS66rGDJ2NNCWTw.jpg
    YarKb7VyS66rGDJ2NNCWTw.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 627

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, this is going to be an awesome shop; you will have many enjoyable hours working "on" the shop as well as "in" the shop!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
very nice looking building! If I had a bit more space I would have made mine bigger too, but I've got a nice shop too!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I recommend placing all your receptacles 3'-4' off the floor and some on the ceiling. Just my opinion. Great size for a shop.

The bottoms of the receptacles should be 4'-2" off the finished floor. If you do 4' off the floor like I told my electrical contractor, then when you lean a piece of plywood against the wall, the receptacle is covered and you have to move the plywood to get to it.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Speaking of electrical outlets, I placed them both high and low. I also placed some even higher where they would be covered by my upper wall hung cabinets. That is where I made a charging center and keep all my battery chargers and batteries. It has worked out great.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congrats on the progress. I look forward to seeing more.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You might want to string an outlet to where you will use small tools you want dust collection for (sanders, track saw, etc.) so you can power the outlet off a switch to automatically trigger a shop vac. DC is necessary for big tools but doesn't pull well against high resistance, like from little 35mm hoses. But that is what shop vacs do well.

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Latest update. Ready for the rough in inspection. My electrician is doing the box hook up and the meter drop. Hope to have power soon. Lights and ceiling fan mounts are all done along with exhaust fan. Prepping to do the windows and doors. Trim and siding last, then move in all my stuff and get to work.

Attachments

• h6H%kd1QRi2xdrSe5d9%xQ.jpg
    h6H%kd1QRi2xdrSe5d9%xQ.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 370
  • RVJ%mrVOSNy8ptTk878Tlg.jpg
    RVJ%mrVOSNy8ptTk878Tlg.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 362
  • aRe6ay%4QZKE7qb0asHJyg.jpg
    aRe6ay%4QZKE7qb0asHJyg.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 389
  • HS1yLTl4QlC8etrHIyq6wQ.jpg
    HS1yLTl4QlC8etrHIyq6wQ.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 375
  • x9CXzEGJQNWbEcpTIHyT2g.jpg
    x9CXzEGJQNWbEcpTIHyT2g.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 375
  • %60AEJiGQuGItspjjGBTaA.jpg
    %60AEJiGQuGItspjjGBTaA.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 402

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Was it cheaper to do the build with wood versus doing one of the steel sheds that look similar? Just curious as I have thought about building an out building (not this size) and was wondering which construction method may be the cheapest.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS