Sourcing 12/4 walnut

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
So far the only place I've found it is the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville.

Looking for other suggestions. Thanks, guys.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Be sure to review the 16/4 Red Oak thread. Thick stock is hard to dry properly. My personal opinion is that it is typically better to glue it up.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The problem with 12/4 is the time it takes to dry for anyone using a kiln.

I have some air dried 12/4 that I harvested and cut myself. It has been three years now stored in conditioned space and it is still wet in the center.

What do you intend doing with the lumber?

I glue up when that thickness is needed and with careful selection and matching it is hard to see the joint lines, even when using 4/4.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I have used 12/4 Walnut without any issues for Cabriole leg stock. I have had really good luck buying from either Groff and Groff lumber (Pa.) and Good Hope Hardwoods (Pa.) for both 12/4 Walnut and Cherry.

Sometimes you can get away with a glue up, legs are typically not a place I have found you can get away with a glue up, without messing up the lines of the leg.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It is for cabriole legs. Can’t glue up.

I live in FL so driving to PA is out of the question. ;)

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I used to live much closer to Groff and Groff, Good Hope,Hearne Hardwoods or Irion Lumber. Haven't had any issue calling any of the names listed, telling what I am looking for and let them pick out the stock for me. Irion Lumber was even a too far drive from my old home :).

Everyone has their preference, but I think rift sawn stock (growth rings running diagonally from corner to corner) makes the most visually pleasing cabriole legs

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Bob, Robert is naming off the first tier suppliers for leg stock used in cabriole legs. Those guys understand the need for riftsawn stock (appearance) with no runout (strength) through the ankles.

I would add Dunlap in Chantilly, Virginia as another possible source. He’s known for Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle stocks, musical instruments and probably a few other items he supplies wood for. He also understands cutting and choosing the right stock for appearance and strength. I have had no trouble getting 3”, 3 1/2” and some 4” billets from him. Mine were maple and cherry. He has had walnut, I just haven’t used it.

I can’t tell you about having him pull wood over the phone, because I have always chosen pieces in person. Same for Groff, Hearne, Good Hope and Talarico.

Anyway, Dunlap might be worth a call.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS