RiserPads

New User
Charlie
Hello everyone. New to NC and NCwoodworker so my fist post will be "What am I working with?" Any help is greatly appreciated as my identifying skills are "Yup, thats a tree".

Anyway, got some branches from someone trimming their yard. I ve been making some small little bud vases and I have no idea what kind of tree its from. I have attached an image of the branch and an image of it turned to see the grain. Thanks in advance!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charlie welcome to the NCWW family. From the bark picture I would say cherry.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome Charlie, I think Scott has it right, cherry. Now without seeing buds, blossoms or leaves, narrowing it down further is more challenging.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Although at first glance I thought wild black cherry, I am thinking it could also be a hackberry or member of the birch or beech family based on the turning. If that is a limb, than cherry is a possibility. although to me the wood looks too light and too yellow, and the bark too green.

Welcome Charly. If this is from up north, could be a European alder.

RiserPads

New User
Charlie
Charlie welcome to the NCWW family. From the bark picture I would say cherry.

I think you nailed. Lots of these in my neighborhood so it makes sense. Probably havent let it dry completely so thats why it looks so much lighter than the cherry blank I got from woodcraft.

Welcome Charlie, I think Scott has it right, cherry. Now without seeing buds, blossoms or leaves, narrowing it down further is more challenging.

I think he got it right too. Picked up these branches in a pile by the road in my neighborhood last fall. Cant even remember which exact house it came from as I picked through a couple piles after our "hurricane" weather in charlotte last year. So finding out exact what cherry it is wont be possible but im ok knowing its just cherry. I think its looking light beacuse I havent let it dry all the way. It looked kinda dry but after turning it cracked a bit more so I'm thinking they still got some time left on the rack.

I think it may be river birch, a common tree in NC. Can you get a picture of the rest of the tree? Black cherry isn't a bad choice either but the wood looks too light in color.

Hey Jeff,
I thought Birch too at first because of the lines but I think birch is way to flakey for this to be it. I think Scott nailed it with some sort of cherry. No way to know what tree it came from. Picked from one of many scrap piles by the road last fall.

Although at first glance I thought wild black cherry, I am thinking it could also be a hackberry or member of the birch or beech family based on the turning. If that is a limb, than cherry is a possibility. although to me the wood looks too light and too yellow, and the bark too green.

Welcome Charly. If this is from up north, could be a European alder.

Gofor,
Thanks! I am in the Charotte area. I think cherry might be the ticket. There are tons around my neighbor hood in various colors. Not sure exactly which one these branches came from but as long as I know its cherry of some sort it will be alright.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS