Just picked up some machinery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn

New User
shawn
I just acquired a few machines, one of which is a S.A. Woods f99 16" jointer. I finished reassembly yesterday, except for the motor, its locked up. The cutter head runs on Babbitt bearings and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them, i.e. lubrication. the head seems snug enough, though when itook the caps off and removed the shaft, there seemed to be grooves in the bottom of the bearing. I thought these might be for lubrication purposes but I'm not positive. The research I've done so far leads me to believe the bearing should be "solid/fully formed" around the shaft. Maybe I need to get the bearings re-poured? Any insight?
Thanks

Attachments

• sawoods.jpg
    sawoods.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 287

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Shawn, do the grooves look like they were cut, or do they look like they were worn in? Were there any shims when you took off the bearing caps? When you pour babbit, you pour it around the shaft, usually with lampblack on the shaft to provide a little clearance. When you assemble the bearing caps, you place some shims between the halves of the cap to provide room for the lubricant. As the bearing wears, shims can be removed. If the shaft looks good, your bearing is probably still serviceable.

Roy G

Jim Roche

New User
jim
Hey Shawn,
Nice "get" there! Sounds like Roy is steering you down the right path. Another reference is OWWM.org, they're a friendly bunch over there as well and can help you along the way getting the old girl back in tip-top shape.

Good luck on your refurb, she'll serve you well.

Jim

shawn

New User
shawn
bearing pics

Attachments

• 20180805_121752.jpg
    20180805_121752.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 208
  • 20180805_121758.jpg
    20180805_121758.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 190
  • 20180805_121805.jpg
    20180805_121805.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 20180805_121844.jpg
    20180805_121844.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 184

awldune

Sam
User
If you are not already a member at owwm.org you probably should check there. Those guys will get you sorted out with your bearings.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My thought: Why'd you waste good money for a jointer with a locked-up motor?

I just acquired a few machines, one of which is a S.A. Woods f99 16" jointer. I finished reassembly yesterday, except for the motor, its locked up. The cutter head runs on Babbitt bearings and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them, i.e. lubrication. the head seems snug enough, though when itook the caps off and removed the shaft, there seemed to be grooves in the bottom of the bearing. I thought these might be for lubrication purposes but I'm not positive. The research I've done so far leads me to believe the bearing should be "solid/fully formed" around the shaft. Maybe I need to get the bearings re-poured? Any insight?
Thanks

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Shawn, I'd be interested in following your progress, beautiful old machine.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jeff said:
My thought: Why'd you waste good money for a jointer with a locked-up motor?

I have bought machines with quite easily repaired problems at deep discount due to the owner either not knowing how to repair or not wanting to bother. It is a good way to save a lot of money for a little effort.

I don't see anyway this is wasted money or effort. To suggest so is is not helpful nor encouraging.

I was just looking at the Grizzly latest sales flyer and checked on their 16 inch jointer with 5HP 220v single phase motor.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-Z-Series-Jointer-w-Spiral-Cutterhead/G9953ZX

$8000.

5hp motor $455
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-5-HP-Single-Phase-3450-RPM-TEFC-220V/H5390

Don't know what Shawn paid but i would say he probably got a great deal and the locked up motor is inconsequential.

Last edited:

ste6168

New User
Mike
Shawn, you're right up the road from me, cool machine! Would love to see it in action once you get it fully restored/running!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't see anyway this is wasted money or effort. To suggest so is is not helpful nor encouraging.

I'm not discouraging Shawn. It's my different point of view to an interesting discussion.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Where does one find such amazing finds....? I have been looking for a bigger (not as ginormous as yours) and keep hoping to find a darling steal on Craiglist but that hasnt happened yet.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott careful what you ask for, that kind of thing happens to me when the active desire for finding said item is ending but my intentions are still to get one. For some reason it falls in your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS