new bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I am working on a challenging new bowl project using post oak. The material was supplied and I was asked to use all of it with the absolute least possible waste. Here are a few images of the finished sample bowl and some process shots. Some of this material is in really poor condition - but nothing a little epoxy can't overcome! The finished bowls are 16" diameter x 6" deep.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dix_bowl_1.jpg
    Dix_bowl_1.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Dix_Detail_1.jpg
    Dix_Detail_1.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Dix_flitches_1.jpg
    Dix_flitches_1.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Dix_sawing_1.jpg
    Dix_sawing_1.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Dix_stack_1.jpg
    Dix_stack_1.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Dix_Epoxy_1.jpg
    Dix_Epoxy_1.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 242

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stuart,
Tell us a little more about the edge decoration.

What is the process? (carving, rotary tool etc.)
Do you do it on the lathe, or off?
Do you do it and remount to cut the beads or do you create the "field" and "color inside the lines?" :rolleyes:

Last, the finish in that detail seems different from the rest of the bowl, is that true or is the rest of the bowl "rubbed out to a higher finish and can you not do that with the detail you have created?

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Stuart,
Tell us a little more about the edge decoration.

What is the process? (carving, rotary tool etc.)
Do you do it on the lathe, or off?
Do you do it and remount to cut the beads or do you create the "field" and "color inside the lines?" :rolleyes:

Last, the finish in that detail seems different from the rest of the bowl, is that true or is the rest of the bowl "rubbed out to a higher finish and can you not do that with the detail you have created?

I carve it with an out cannel gouge, on the lathe, using the indexer to hold it still. The rim is ebonized with iron acetate applied by hand with a small detail brush. Then the bowl is fumed with 22% ammonium hydroxide, followed by one coat of danish oil and three coats of Briwax.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I carve it with an out cannel gouge, on the lathe, using the indexer to hold it still. The rim is ebonized with iron acetate applied by hand with a small detail brush. Then the bowl is fumed with 22% ammonium hydroxide, followed by one coat of danish oil and three coats of Briwax.
OOPS!
I was so engrossed int he technical aspects - forgot to say - BEAUTIFUL work!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Stuart, those are some large cracks in the last picture. Are you going to put some dye or filler in the epoxy? I have seen some decorative fillers, like inlace, that make the bowl almost art.

Roy G

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I second Hank' s comments. Amazing finishing techniques, going to have to look into those. The result are truely unique and beautiful! The rest of the blanks look like a lot fun to come.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Stuart, those are some large cracks in the last picture. Are you going to put some dye or filler in the epoxy? I have seen some decorative fillers, like inlace, that make the bowl almost art.

Roy G

I used fine mahogany dust as an additive to West System epoxy, it matches the final color very nicely. If you look at the knot in the bottom of the finished bowl it is filled.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I second Hank' s comments. Amazing finishing techniques, going to have to look into those. The result are truely unique and beautiful! The rest of the blanks look like a lot fun to come.

thanks. The first batch is 75, and then the remainder. I estimate the whole project to be about 350 bowls.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looking forward to seeing how the interesting blanks turn out and your methods of working with them. I'm sure there will be 350 beautiful bowls to follow.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Looking forward to seeing how the interesting blanks turn out and your methods of working with them. I'm sure there will be 350 beautiful bowls to follow.

keep your fingers crossed for me - there's some tough stuff in this batch! I'll keep you posted as things progress...

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Beautiful bowl, the rim detail is amazing, I can't imagine having to do 350 of them. Thanks too for sharing the "blank" pictures, its cool to see how a turning project starts.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I noticed the duct tape. My experience with West epoxy is that it dissolves the duct tape 'sticky'. I've started using the aluminum tape (real "duct" tape) which seems to hold up as a barrier to migrating epoxy. You have to make sure it seals and you do have to be cautious in removing it if the wood fibers are loose (DAMHIK).

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Really cool detail on the rim of the bowl! Beautiful!

Looks like the jigging on a pocket knife!!

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I noticed the duct tape. My experience with West epoxy is that it dissolves the duct tape 'sticky'. I've started using the aluminum tape (real "duct" tape) which seems to hold up as a barrier to migrating epoxy. You have to make sure it seals and you do have to be cautious in removing it if the wood fibers are loose (DAMHIK).

I have experienced the same, but in this case, I added so much sawdust it had the consistency of brownie mix, the duct tape merely slowed the flow.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have experienced the same, but in this case, I added so much sawdust it had the consistency of brownie mix, the duct tape merely slowed the flow.

Regardless, the bowl is ssswwwweeeetttt.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Outstanding Stuart! I would have guessed the edge detail was done with a wood burner. But, I have to agree with your gouge technique. Just beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS