Back at it again finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Now that the economy has picked up after a good nine year lag. My son and I got all the sawmilling equipment running again. My son bought a 10' long 40" diameter sycamore butt log two years ago for $40.00. It sat over here by the sawmill off the ground "aging". We had to rip it in 1/2" with a chainsaw so it could get it to fit on the woodmizer. So what do you do with a big butt sycamore log? Well you quartersaw it of course :) I've sawn a lot of sycamore over the years and this log is about as good as it gets. It yeilded a little over 350 board foot of beautiful quartersawn lumber when all was said and done. Yeah I would say he got his $40.00 worth out of that log :lol

Some pics...
For refrence the dogs are 12" tall
View attachment 27265
View attachment 27266
View attachment 27267
View attachment 27268

After a little practice running the sawmill again - I still got it... Having some fun with sawmill book matching with red maple logs. Who was it that said they don't like knots?

Evil horny toad maybe?
IMG_20180422_112606224.jpg

IDK... Bigfoot maybe?
PART_1524942733449_IMG_20180428_125239848.jpg

Amazing how much I missed running my sawmill all that time and didn't even realize it until I heard her singing her log song as the blade passed through the log. Sure I cut a little here and there but it's pretty steady now.

Also I finally broke down and got my consealed carry certificate. 16 hours of training and you all know Illionis consealed carry is not easy to achieve but here is my qualifying shots. 10 from 5 yards, 10 from 10 yards and 10 from 20 yards. I hit all 30 in the silhouette with a my .357 revolver with a 2" barrel - I was darn right happy... Scored 100% in the direct sun with black on black iron sights. My instructor (retired state police officer and now high ranking official with the NRA) told me I should be proud that's it's good shooting in the direct sun with iron sights and a 2" barrel. He told me to take the target home and hang it up on the front door so that's what I did. It's turned out to be quite a conversation peice.
IMG_20180506_170839259.jpg

Oddly... Illionis does not have an imprint law so I can wear my pistol in a outside the waistband holster as long as it's covered. There is no law regarding the imprint of a pistol showing through a tee-shirt. So I have a new holster in order and need to pratice defense drawing techniques taught to me during class. Also practice shooting around a tree and from behind a car and mail box also taught during the class. I was the only student in the class, I guess no one in Illionis wants their consealed carry license. So I took full advantage of the one on one training.

Last edited:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congrats on the CC! Glad to hear you are alive and kicking Jeff. The attachments you provided for the sycamore are not coming through, would love to see how it turned out.

Love the Yeti, lol...

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome back the the world of the WGD. Congrats on the CC. Look at at 9mms or a 380. Easier to carry.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Illinois must be stricter on the training requirements than even NC. When I got mine in NC it required an 8 hour class and the target strikes, but they just used a paper plate for a target. In VA, all I did was show them the NC permit when I move here. That and $50 was all it took. I think they have an online course you can take if you don't have out-of-state training.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Hello Jeff! Sure is good to hear from you; I was afraid one of those Illinois tornadoes had carried y'all away! The first three pics didn't come through but sure would like to see that sycamore butt be taken down. Glad you're alive and well and look forward to reading about more of your adventures in mid-western homesteading.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Welcome back the the world of the WGD. Congrats on the CC. Look at at 9mms or a 380. Easier to carry.

I must admit I was biased against semiautos until I took the class and learned about the advantages of semautos. Excpecially with the mags holding 18 rounds and the blown apart frame of a revelover from a hangfire - eek.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Illinois must be stricter on the training requirements than even NC. When I got mine in NC it required an 8 hour class and the target strikes, but they just used a paper plate for a target. In VA, all I did was show them the NC permit when I move here. That and $50 was all it took. I think they have an online course you can take if you don't have out-of-state training.

Yeah you guys most definitely got it easier than in Illinois. Earning a consealed carry in Illinois is very difficult and COSTLY. But a lot of the states reconise IL consealed carry so I looked at it as consealed carry license for many states. Oddly though IL does not recognize any other states consealed carry. I live in a very strange state without a doubt... It's a level of stupid I've not seen in a long time.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
That's some mighty fine shooting Jeff. Last time I was on the police range one of my good friends was the range master. When I finished shooting he pulled a round from his belt and told me that just like Barney Fife I should carry it in my pocket. It would do as much good there than in my weapon.

Pop
:dontknow:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's some mighty fine shooting Jeff. Last time I was on the police range one of my good friends was the range master. When I finished shooting he pulled a round from his belt and told me that just like Barney Fife I should carry it in my pocket. It would do as much good there than in my weapon.

Pop
:dontknow:

POPS - I missed you man! Great to hear from you.

Yep I understand -:lol and i'm thinking based on what my instructor said about semiauto capacity. That 18+1 is a lot better for me than 6 in the hands of someone who can shoot well. He repeated may times if your ever in a gunfight I want you to remember YOU will survive and be the winner your adversary however will not. He taught me a lot about mental preparation also being the only student in the class alone with the instructor he covered some more intermediate topics. It was most definitely worth it I learned much more than I ever expected I would. Remember mental attitude is 9/10s of the battle, get back on the range and practice practice practice!

I'm already signed up for home and urban defence classes with the same instructor. He is a great instructor. The very first thing he said to me was "I just want to levelset I don't believe in participation trophies. You must earn this certificate" right away I said I like this dude, my kind of guy.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yeah you guys most definitely got it easier than in Illinois. Earning a consealed carry in Illinois is very difficult and COSTLY. But a lot of the states reconise IL consealed carry so I looked at it as consealed carry license for many states. Oddly though IL does not recognize any other states consealed carry. I live in a very strange state without a doubt... It's a level of stupid I've not seen in a long time.

NC will recognize permits only from states that recognizes the NC permit. Many states work that way. Point being be careful if you travel out of your state.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
NC will recognize permits only from states that recognizes the NC permit. Many states work that way. Point being be careful if you travel out of your state.

Already checked and my path to VA, NC & SC is clear through KY and TN. But thanks for the heads up! I'm currently looking at a center console safe from the pick up. I might just build one out of hard maple instead though since the law just says a "Box". Looks easy enough to build one. Just need to find a high quality lock but everything I've seen is junky quaility so far.

Last edited:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ft Knox safes disguised as shelves use rare earth magnets to trigger the bolt to unlock. Pull magnet away, lock bolt engages.

Just throwing it out as an option if you decide to build your own box.

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Welcome back hillbilly :gar-Bi.
You get this way look us up. I got a handful for you to try out.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Congrats on the CC! Glad to hear you are alive and kicking Jeff. The attachments you provided for the sycamore are not coming through, would love to see how it turned out.

Love the Yeti, lol...

Yeah well I uploaded the attachments they must be lost on the server somewhere - IDK. I'll see if I can find them in my profile and relink to them.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I live in a very strange state without a doubt... It's a level of stupid I've not seen in a long time.
Remember that when you moved to Illinois from NC, you raised the intelligence level of both states :rotflm:. You made those food processor biscuits yet. I've got everything set up to make some, with country ham, in the morning:cool:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS