Dovetailed box from Birdseye Maple, Sapele...and a couple leather shoestrings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
I couldn't find stop hinges that would work in the orientation I needed, so...shoestrings to the rescue! Open to ideas for other solutions I could've used. Chains I think would interfered with the closing of the lid. Thanks.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.45.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.45.15 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 359
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.45.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.45.39 PM.png
    923.6 KB · Views: 355

dwminnich

New User
Dave
I couldn't find stop hinges that would work in the orientation I needed, so...shoestrings to the rescue! Open to ideas for other solutions I could've used. Chains I think would interfered with the closing of the lid. Thanks.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Very nice! Re: other options, why not barrel hinges? They would have required creating some relief, but would have created a virtual stop hinge effect. I've used them for good-sized jewelry boxes to good effect.

--dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Very nice! Re: other options, why not barrel hinges? They would have required creating some relief, but would have created a virtual stop hinge effect. I've used them for good-sized jewelry boxes to good effect.

--dave

Hmm. I was worried that the top would not be thick enough for barrel hinges. I've always wanted to try them though! Would love to see what you made with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Hmm. I was worried that the top would not be thick enough for barrel hinges. I've always wanted to try them though! Would love to see what you made with them.

Here's a thread with one of them (https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48935).

And here're a couple pictures of another:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Both of these projects used mini barrel hinges like these: ; those are only 5mm in diameter, and can easily handle the weight of a jewelry box lid. I typically epoxy the hinges.

How thick is the lid on your box? Creating the relief that these hinges need would be a bit more complicated on a dovetailed box than on these examples of mine, but not much more so.

Attachments

• 2016-05-19 09.05.49.jpg
    2016-05-19 09.05.49.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 322
  • 2016-05-19 09.03.23.jpg
    2016-05-19 09.03.23.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 309

DTBoss

New User
Dan
I'll bet those would work. I don't have the box in my possession any longer but I'd venture to guess the lid was just shy of a quarter inch. I'll give box hinges a try on a future project. Thanks. Beautiful box yourself, by the way!

dwminnich

New User
Dave
I'll bet those would work. I don't have the box in my possession any longer but I'd venture to guess the lid was just shy of a quarter inch. I'll give box hinges a try on a future project. Thanks. Beautiful box yourself, by the way!

Thanks. I've got five nieces, and my tradition is to make each a one-of-a-kind box for HS graduation. Those are two of the ones, so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Nicely done Dan, I like your choice of wood and how they contrast each other. Also I think the "cord" you used as stops add a unique look to the project.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Beautiful work. The shoelaces look fine to me. I guess stop hinges of some kind might be more sophisticated. I've used fine brass chains (or one).

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Beautiful work. The shoelaces look fine to me. I guess stop hinges of some kind might be more sophisticated. I've used fine brass chains (or one).

Thanks. I need to plan for these things a bit further in advance! Might try chains on the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS