Hand hewn oak log cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Low and behold this cabin built around 1810 is about 15 minutes drive from my house. It's located on a dead end road. I found it driving around in the country last weekend with my wife.

The owner and his wife were at home and i stopped and talked to him. He had all the shutters / windows and doors open with a fire in the fireplace. He came outside in shorts and a teeshirt and said it was hot in there. The shutter hardware was all orginal and looked like it was hand made. The cabin is completely off grid, a mere 2 rooms, a loft bedroom, and completely open on the main floor. There is a one holer out back.

Just really cool to see a house built on a stacked stone foundation so long ago, still standing and being lived in even today. Todays building materials simply dont compare to the way they built houses back in the 1800's
IMG_20161231_143951782_HDR.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
look at those dovetails.. neat

The non uniform dovetails are very cool and from structural standpoint just can't be compared to any modern joinery methods (16d nails) .I expecally like the way they used the full height logs - waste not want not i guess. The logs, the chink, the dovetails are all random. All that random'ness is what makes this structure so attractive to me.

Last edited:

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I've built a few log homes and have been in quite a few more that I didn't build. Depending on the style of construction, materials used, and level of craftsmanship, they can be pretty drafty or worse. Without the use of modern chinking materials and caulk, it is hard to seal any structure built from logs or timber in the log cabin fashion. It is not unusual for the walls of log homes to leak, even modern designs, if not carefully constructed.

Back in the early 1990's, Appalachian Log Homes sold log home packages in both pressure-treated SYP or white oak - for the same price. My client lived in Florida and wanted pressure treated lumber because of the termite problem.

Pete

I bet there ain't no draft in that house. :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS