My first hand plane purchase!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fried_daddy

New User
MJ
I just purchased my first planes today. After looking around a little online, I decided to look for a used one that had a few years of age on it. Super excited about them. I now need to read up on how to properly sharpen the blade and get the plane set correctly.
I purchased two planes. From what I have read, they are Stanley Bailey. These pics are after I got them home, taken apart, quick cleaning then reassembly. The 5 1/2 looks like it has had a different handle placed on it at some point in its life. The replacement still feels solid though. You guys say you like pics so here are a bunch of them.
1) No 4
2) No 5 1/2 smooth bottom

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice score!

The No. 5-1/2 is an old one, probably a type 6 or 7 based on the three patent dates. It looks to be in really good condition, most of the jappaning is still intact. The sweetheart logo iron is a little newer.

The No. 4 looks like a type 19, also in excellent condition.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Very nice score!

The No. 5-1/2 is an old one, probably a type 6 or 7 based on the three patent dates. It looks to be in really good condition, most of the jappaning is still intact. The sweetheart logo iron is a little newer.

I think the three patent dates on the body would make it either a type 11 or 12. Given the SW iron and what looks to be a tall front knob I'd say type 12 from the 1919-1924 period assuming all is original. A very nice plane indeed.

They both look to be in great shape. Well done.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Very nice score!

Mark, I'm with Chris on the the 5 1/2 being a type 11 or more likely 12. The early planes didn't have the frog adjust screw.

Fred, That's a great plane combination to start out with. I'm a huge fan of the 5 1/2 jack. If I could only have one BD plane it would be a 5 1/2.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, I'm with Chris on the the 5 1/2 being a type 11 or more likely 12. The early planes didn't have the frog adjust screw.

Fred, That's a great plane combination to start out with. I'm a huge fan of the 5 1/2 jack. If I could only have one BD plane it would be a 5 1/2.

You guys are absolutely right. Probably a type 12 and the sweetheart logo iron is the age appropriate.

Don't know what I was thinking. :eek:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You're off to a good start w/ your hand tool collection. If we have one of the hand plane tune-up/sharpening workshops in 2017, you should bring them both.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I now need to read up on how to properly sharpen the blade and get the plane set correctly.

Exactly...trying to use a dull and/or improperly set plane is an exercise in frustration. Lots of free resources out the on the web...some of which are quite good. Paul Sellers videos in particular spring to mind. I would suggest investing in at least one book...The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack. An excellent reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Handplane-Taunton-Videos-Fellow-Enthusiasts/dp/1561587125

fried_daddy

New User
MJ
Very nice score!

All of the planes are in great condition. Tools used to be built to last!

I think the three patent dates on the body would make it either a type 11 or 12. Given the SW iron and what looks to be a tall front knob I'd say type 12 from the 1919-1924 period assuming all is original. A very nice plane indeed.

They both look to be in great shape. Well done.
I found a decoding website and that is correct that the 5 1/2 is a Type 12.

You're off to a good start w/ your hand tool collection. If we have one of the hand plane tune-up/sharpening workshops in 2017, you should bring them both.
That is something I would definitely be interested in attending.

Exactly...trying to use a dull and/or improperly set plane is an exercise in frustration. Lots of free resources out the on the web...some of which are quite good. Paul Sellers videos in particular spring to mind. I would suggest investing in at least one book...The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack. An excellent reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Handplane-Taunton-Videos-Fellow-Enthusiasts/dp/1561587125
I will add that to my wish list and throw it in next time I place an amazon order to have for reference.

fried_daddy

New User
MJ
I picked up a third plane today. Stanley Bailey No 3. From what research I have done it looks like it is a Type 16. Correct me if i'm wrong. The blade on this one was still sharp and it cut really good when I set it and tried it out on a scrap piece of wood. Pictures of number 3!

Bottom has some slight surface rust. I thought about filing it down with a fine file. Will that hurt the plane any?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I would not take a file to the sole of a plane. To remove rust like that, I use Evapo-rust (I buy mine at Tractor Supply). After removing the rust and re-assembling the plane, you can flatten the bottom by running it across some adhesive backed sandpaper laid on a flat surface like a cast iron table saw top. This will give you the flat surface you need for the toe, around the mouth, and in back of the mouth, which you need for a well performing plane.

Here are some pictures of one of mine before and after Evaporust:
BedrockBtm.jpg

iron_chipbrkr.jpg

Sorry, can't find any pics of flattening a sole.

Go

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I picked up a third plane today. Stanley Bailey No 3. From what research I have done it looks like it is a Type 16. Correct me if i'm wrong.

That appears to be a much newer vintage plane, a type 20 (1962-1967 or newer). Most people would say that the quality of Stanley's planes started to decline after World War II. Doesn't mean it can't be/won't be a good user though. I'd suggest a little more research on the history of these planes before you start your collection. One of the best reference sites to check is Rexmill.com...there are many others.

http://rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

Bottom has some slight surface rust. I thought about filing it down with a fine file. Will that hurt the plane any?

Don't do it! A sheet of sandpaper affixed to a flat (truly flat) surface will remove it. A little discolouration or pitting may remain but that won't hurt a thing.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
To remove rust like that, I use Evapo-rust (I buy mine at Tractor Supply).
Check out Ollies....I bought a gallon of Evapo-Rust in there a while back for $9.99. I've since seen it in there for that same price.

Timmy

New User
Tim
I see the addiction has started. After using the metal planes for a bit, try out some old wooden ones. I like the old coffin planes.

fried_daddy

New User
MJ
I would not take a file to the sole of a plane. To remove rust like that, I use Evapo-rust (I buy mine at Tractor Supply). After removing the rust and re-assembling the plane, you can flatten the bottom by running it across some adhesive backed sandpaper laid on a flat surface like a cast iron table saw top. This will give you the flat surface you need for the toe, around the mouth, and in back of the mouth, which you need for a well performing plane.

Here are some pictures of one of mine before and after Evaporust:
BedrockBtm.jpg

iron_chipbrkr.jpg

Sorry, can't find any pics of flattening a sole.

Go
Looks nice! What do you apply to the bare metal surfaces after using the evaporust to keep the metal surface from forming a fresh coat of surface rust?

fried_daddy

New User
MJ
I'd also suggest you watch these videos.....this guy knows his stuff.

Restoring a bench plane with Paul Sellers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYyV6IUpsYk

Sharpening and setting the bench plane with Paul Sellers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE4yVgdVW7s
Chris,
Thanks for the links.

Nice score, Fried.
Thanks.
I see the addiction has started. After using the metal planes for a bit, try out some old wooden ones. I like the old coffin planes.
I will make sure to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS