How often?

For what usage?

In combination with which tools?

How many do you own?

How do you sharpen?

danw

New User
dan
I own 3, 4, 5, 5 1/2, 6, 7. block planes 220, 9 1/2, 110. violin makers planes and a few others. probably 20 total
I use all of them. 3, 4, 5 1/2 and 110 the most
With table saw , bandsaw and jointer
sharpen with diamond stones and strop

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Which ones? Mostly Stanleys - 3,4,5,6,7,8, 78, 45, radius, couple blocks

How often? at least once a week

For what usage? Everything from thicknessing wide boards, jointing, touching up mortises, chamfers, to finish surfaces.

In combination with which tools? Mostly the bandsaw and tablesaw

How many do you own? 11 that I use a lot and several more that are waiting to be refurbished.

How do you sharpen? DMT diamond stones and a leather strop.

schnable

New User
Andrew
Which ones?
Stanley 4, 5, 7, 8, 45 (x2), 60 1/2, 80, 110, 113
Sargent 414
Veritas router plane
Veritas skew rabbet plane
Veritas medium shoulder plane
Veritas shooting board plane
some wooden moulding planes

How often?
frequently - always finish off with planes / scrapers / light hand sanding

For what usage?
scrubbing, planing, jointing, molding, smoothing

power for rough work, hand tools for final work

How many do you own?
15 or so

How do you sharpen?
Diamond stones / leather strop

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Stanley Bench Planes:
#3,
#4 (4 total)
#5 (5 total)
#605 1/2 (Bedrock)
#6 (2 total)

Sargent Bench Planes #'s:

#408 (2 total) (Stanley #3 equivalent)
#422 (Stanley #7 equivalent)

Millers Falls #14 (equivalent Stanley #5)

Block Planes:

Stanley 110
Stanley 9 1/2
Millers Falls 1455 Low Angle

Veritas router plane

Well over 20 planes, I use them for flattening, jointing smoothing...etc.

I use few power tools, mostly hand work in all my projects.

I use in combination with my hand saws, files, rasps, scrapers...etc.

I sharpen with DMT diamond stones and a leather strop with chromium oxide.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Since you asked which ones do you use, I'll ignore the many I have waiting for their first project! Ok, I have a problem :D

Which ones?

LN #4, low-angle block plane, rabbet block plane, #62, Stanley chamfer plane, #603, #5, #7, #112 Veritas BU jointer, BU smoother moulding planes, shoulder planes, router

How often? every project

For what usage?

usually smoothing, edge treatments, edge jointing, joinery

use power tools to dimension most stock and most joinery. Tune with planes.

How many do you own?

heh, heh, heh - I'm not saying

How do you sharpen?

Norton waterstones, and often!

Last edited:

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I own three Stanley's. #5, #3 and my little 220 that was my dad's. I just recently acquired the #3 and #5. The 220 has been used for bringing down edges. I am waiting for some professional guidance in sharpening of the irons before I can fully use the planes. I just want to make sure I will be putting on the best edge I can before using.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mostly Stanley Bailey from #3 to 8. Multiples of the 3's 4's and 5's. An LN #4 with high angle frog. Veritas Bevel Up #5 used as a shooter. Several block planes but the Veritas is used the most. A few specialty planes like a radius plane and multiple router planes. Also several sized shoulder planes including a 1/4" one from Veritas. Just got a Rabbet plane that I haven't used yet. Veritas plow plane was used a lot when I was making a bunch of jewelry boxes.

Use them frequently for trimming and finishing. Use them a lot for making things fit that I cut slightly oversized. Use the shoulder planes a lot on Mortise and Tenon joints.

I Sharpen with Diamond Stones mostly, but also have a WorkSharp I haven't used in a while and a Wet Grinder I've started using some.

I haven't counted how many lately. They seem to multiply like rabbits.

DSC_0249_800x532_1.jpg

This was the old storage solution, but I've moved them to a newer cabinet as they were sometimes in the way under the workbench.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Which ones?
In order of use: #6, #4 1/2, #4, 7, scrub

How often?
Every day.

For what usage?
Surface finish planing, jointing edges, flushing boards, cleaning up dovetails/joinery, flattening panels and wide boards, shoulder planes and rabbet block planes for fitting tenons.

TS, BS, MS, hand saws, chisels.

How many do you own?
4 bench planes (7, 6, 4 1/2, 4), 1 BU Jack, 1 scrub, Lg and Med shoulder planes, block planes (rabbet, LA, reg angle, small).

How do you sharpen?
Freehand.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
Which ones? Jacks, joiners, blocks, plows, and smoothers in metallic, transitional and wood, plus lots of wooden molding and joinery planes.

How often? Pretty much every time I am in the shop.

For what usage? For whatever I can think of--this week was jointing, rabbets and dados.

In combination with which tools? Usually a ripsaw or miter box, but I do still own a table saw.

How many do you own?
Well...just go here https://www.pinterest.com/donaldwoolley/hand-planes/ I have not updated it in a while but it will give you the general idea.

How do you sharpen? Belt sander device I made for shaping, water-stones for sharpening, leather for honing (sometimes an MDF wheel)

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have so many planes I am embarrassed to list them all. To tell the truth I have so many I'm not sure how many I have. Yes at one time or another I use them; well maybe not the #1 Stanley Bailey.
You know it is like a disease. Once you get a few you want more. I am a plane junkie.
Stanley Bailey #1 thru #8C (all 23 sizes). Stanley Bedrock set less 602, 602C, and 608; Have all the rest. About 20 or so Lie Nielsen's. Half set of Hollow & Rounds (wood). I am sure there is more but that is all I can remember; they are still in the moving boxes awaiting the day I find a shop.

David Turner

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Which ones:
Stanley Bailey and Stanley Sweetheart 3, 4, 5, 60 1/2, 92
Lie-Nielsen 51, 62, 85, 97 1/2, 101, 140

How Often:
Not enough, I keep forgetting how well they work

I sharpen with DMT diamond stones and a Richard tell guide

I hone with chromium oxide dry pigment on mdf

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Which ones?In my go to drawer - Stanley #5, Record 311 ,Stanley 90, Stanley low profile, Stanley 9 1/2
3 – spoke shaves, Stanely 192, Stanley 79, and on a shelf a Stanley #8 with a fence setfor door bevel.

How often? Most any project or fix up involving wood,
For what usage?Fitting up, breaking edges, I seem to always need to touch something up

Chisels, scrapers, hand saw, rasp

How many do you own? I really do not know, I just counted my display cabinet and it had over 50, probably close to 100 overall, they are mostly in boxes since I moved.There are 45’s, 55’s, a record 405 with all the hollows and rounds, scrapers, #2 - #8,bedrocks, tongue and groove, 46, router planes, compass plane, carriage planes, many wood planes, etc. I often pull a plane out of the display cabinet if needed for a project. Most planes were sharpened and cleaned as I acquired them so they are usable.

How do you sharpen? Oil stones and a leather strop

Bob

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stanley 3,4,5,6,7,10 1/2, 71, low angle angle jack, veratas scewed rebate, a couple plow plans, wooden rebate, 1/2 set of hollows and rounds. And couple or several block plans.
every project they get used
for flattening, streighting, shaping, smoothing, and molding oh my!
well l ran out of fingers.
with hand saws
i sharpen with a hand cranked grinder, and oil stones.

oxinthebox

New User
Jacob
Hi all, I have not used a hand plane before nor do I have any yet...so my question to you all is what would be a good "starter" plane for me that won't break the bank and any tips on where to find one and what to look for in it?

thanks in advance,
Jacob

Rick M

New User
Rick
Are there woodworkers who don't use hand planes? Besides cabinet guys who work strictly with plywood?

Of course I use hand planes, I'm a woodworker.

edit; I meant that playfully ...

to answer I have 4 block planes, 2 #4's, and a #7.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi all, I have not used a hand plane before nor do I have any yet...so my question to you all is what would be a good "starter" plane for me that won't break the bank and any tips on where to find one and what to look for in it?

thanks in advance,
Jacob
I have one for you. We can meet at the Moose Cafe today at 11:30 or you can PM me with a time and place to meet.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Which ones? Lots of older Stanley types with Hock blades in all

How often? Most everyday.

For what usage? edge and surface plane stuff

In combination with which tools? B/S, T/S

How many do you own? a dozen or so

How do you sharpen? diamond stones, WSharp diamond paste and strop.

If I had to empty out the plane shelf, I would keep my low angle block plane and my bevel up jack(LN62). I use my LN62 more than all the others combined. I have different blades that I pop in and get back to work quickly. Never had the "got to have that one" itch. If the plane does not work for me, its leaving pretty soon. Most of the planes gathering dust were given to me for typical reasons.

Someone asked "What plane to get first?" I guess I would say a #3 or 4 bevel down. This would help you master the plane and learn about way to tune it. I view a plane like an acoustic guitar. I've seen lots of guys out there playing a Martin: out of tune.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
LV low angle jack. - use it to trim hardwood edge banding, flatten table top glue ups, and used on my workbench top
#8 - used to flatten workbench top, edge joint boards for glue up if needed
#5 - used to flatten workbench top, cambered more than usual
scrub plane - used to flatten workbench top.

chisel plane - remove glue

2 block planes, never used

router plane - used to clean up dado's

worksharp, I have wheels that go up to 2k and then a strop loaded with some green paste

I use the low angle jack some still but mostly I'm a power tool guy. Takes alot of practice to get something ready for finish and I don't get enough time in the workshop to get and then maintain the skills. I really enjoyed figuring out the handplanes when I built my workbench and was kind of sad when that project was finished.

FlyingRon

Ron
Actually, I don't much use planes. More often than not I buy my wood presurfaced and if not I run I run it through the power tools. This is one area I always find tedious so I don't bother. On the other hand I love using chisels even when a router would be faster...go figure. Maybe I'll get a router plane someday and play with that.

I've got planes, but only ones that get used regularly are a low angle block and a block plane sized surform tool and a few special rabbet and round over planes I've acquired over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS