Handplane and general sharpening workshop March 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Re: Handplane and general sharpening workshop

I don't know whether to be happy or concerned that so many are signing up for the sharpening workshop for the second or third time as well as lots of new folks.

We're either providing a great service that folks can't get enough or I am a terrible teacher that has to go over everything several times to make it understood.

Or maybe people just like Bill's shop?

Either way I was not as well attended at the workshops at Klingspor and I wonder why? Is it the location? Time? Not advertised well enough?

Those classes were free to the public but only a few attended. Is there something we can do different to bring people in at the Asheville or Winston-Salem stores?

I will only speak for myself here:

The first hand plane workshop I went to was super useful for me. I had never even held a hand plane before and I had never sharpened anything in my life. By the end of the workshop, I had sharpened all my chisels (and felt like I could keep them sharp by myself at home) and had a basic grasp of the different parts of a hand plane.

During the 2nd workshop, I spent the entire time tuning a #9 plane that I got off of craigslist. The sole had to be flattened and the frog needed adjustment so the blade was square. The throat also needed to be closed up some. Wood shavings were constantly getting between the chip breaker and blade. Mike and others helped me address all of these issues. By the end of the workshop, that plane was working great and I felt like I understood hand planes much, much better.

I would attend a 3rd workshop without thinking twice. I would hope to work on setting up a cabinet scraper that doesn't quite work as well as I think it should. I would also work on planing the face of a board that is wider than your hand plane without getting track marks.

That is a good question about why less people attend the classes at Klingspor. I really don't know. I would venture to guess that less people actually know about it and I wonder if signing up for something is automatically more of a commitment than just showing up to a class at Klingspor. :confused:

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark

If, due to cancellations or whatever, there is an opening then please put me down for a slot. However, if someone comes up after this posting who has not taken the class please put them ahead of me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

I don't know whether to be happy or concerned that so many are signing up for the sharpening workshop for the second or third time as well as lots of new folks.

We're either providing a great service that folks can't get enough or I am a terrible teacher that has to go over everything several times to make it understood.

Or maybe people just like Bill's shop?

Either way I was not as well attended at the workshops at Klingspor and I wonder why? Is it the location? Time? Not advertised well enough?

Those classes were free to the public but only a few attended. Is there something we can do different to bring people in at the Asheville or Winston-Salem stores?
Mike,
I'll bite...
These are all suppositions based on other events / venues and topics offered for free or a small fee ($6-$20)
1. Having a workshop at a store - might imply to a potential attendee that they are expected to buy something.
2. Advertising - our reach is relatively small, Klingspore's reach is relatively small and in both cases and so the pool of attendees is potentially not large enough. (think of the number of people who hear about it, then the number of people who are interested out of that group and the number of people who can set time asked on a Saturday... etc. etc. etc.
3. Audience - any class requires the potential attendee to know that they need to learn (admitting you are a ___ is the first step)
4. Star power - the reason the woodworking shows and the KE bring in "Names" is to draw more people. Unfortunately nobody knows who Mike Davis is and that he is a great teacher. (here I have a solution - you need some testimonials that can go out in the advertising)
5. Repetition - I am curious who and how many showed up for the first second and third Klingspore extravaganza. (look at it now - advertising, word of mouth, star power draws, the truck drawing - a number of things to attract the public...

I don't know if that helps, I don't know if I am right - but these are similar reasons that I have heard in the past for people who wanted to attend an event and in the end did not show up!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

If we get ten or more on the waiting list I will consider doing a second workshop.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User

good morning guys!

If there is space available, I'd love to attend (depending on the final date). I'm an absolute sharpening novice, so there would be a lot to learn.

wbwufpack

New User
Brian
I know I originally voted "no" for March 12th but I would still like to attend. I am really interested in attending so I'll move some stuff around and make it work.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Brian,

All of the original 15 who can move to this date please let us know then we will take the waiting list.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Ok, the date for the workshop has been finalized as March 12. The next step is for everyone to confirm their reserved spot by paying the $30 donation to NCWW. Spots are officially reserved once Berta (NCWW Treasurer) confirms that the $30 donation has been received. In the past, any fees have been collected at the workshops, this is changing. Typically there is at least one person that just doesn't show up. This results in an open slot not being utilized which stinks for people on the waiting list and NCWW loses out on any donation opportunities. It is a lose-lose situation.

Let's make the deadline 10 days from now for paying Berta the $30 donation. After that point, your slot will automatically be forfeited and anyone on the waiting list will get moved up. This should be a great workshop. Those who get to attend should consider themselves lucky.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike,
March 12 is the only date in the next 3 months I cannot make so please remove me from the waiting list and put my name at at the top of the list for the next session, if that comes to pass. Thanks so much for being willing to share your expertise.
Matt

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess we make the donation through the use of the "Donate" on the menu bar - is that correct?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike,
March 12 is the only date in the next 3 months I cannot make so please remove me from the waiting list and put my name at at the top of the list for the next session, if that comes to pass. Thanks so much for being willing to share your expertise.
Matt

Keep trying Matt. Raymond has been trying to come to a sharpening workshop for three or four years. It always fell on his workdays.

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member
Can you put me on the list (waiting list I assume). First meeting/get together since moved into the area.

- Phil

DavidS

David
User
I sent my $30.00 via the Donate button. By the way, how will we be notified of the hours and the address of the workshop location?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
It looks like there may be a problem with the donation button. Some have reported that it isn't working. Our webmaster is currently making some changes. The easiest way to pay right now is to PM Berta and send her a check in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS