Woodworker's Supply - Rumor Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This is a follow up to a recent thread concerning Woodworker's Supply.

I stopped by the store in Graham, NC today. While there I asked the Salesman about the rumor they are moving to Raleigh. He confirmed it. Their last day in Graham is Dec. 19. He didn't know the exact location in Raleigh, but said it would be somewhere along Hwy. 70, near the airport.

llucas

luke
Senior User
hmmm...not all that far from Woodcraft...Well that makes it easier for me to decide which direction to head out...both are now east of me. The current location is actually pretty conveniently located, sorry to see them moving.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Since Woodcraft in Greensboro closed, and now Woodworker's Supply is moving to Raleigh, that leaves a woodworking void between Winston-Salem and Raleigh. Boy, we sure could use a KLINGSPOR somewhere in between, like Burlington. Good morning, Coleman? :gar-Bi :icon_cheers

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Since Woodcraft in Greensboro closed, and now Woodworker's Supply is moving to Raleigh, that leaves a woodworking void between Winston-Salem and Raleigh. Boy, we sure could use a KLINGSPOR somewhere in between, like Burlington. Good morning, Coleman? :gar-Bi :icon_cheers

I wish there was a store IN Greensboro!

Richo B

New User
Richo
I guess I thought that store was in Raleigh. From New Bern heading west anything up there is considered Raleigh to me. Woodcraft, Klingspor's, Woodworker's Supply- its all two hours away from here but the closest place to buy anything. However I have recently discovered the antique shops here in New Bern and their amazing stock of antique tools at decent prices.

Truefire

New User
Chris
What????!!!! There aren't any woodworking supply stores inside a city the size of Greensboro? Wow! That is bizarre.....to me. Without wood, what do folks do? I mean really!!! Please don't say ballgames.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I am really surprised that with them being the only store between Raleigh and Winston Salem they would have a lot of walkin volumne. Always seemed to be busy when I've been there. Then moving to an area that already has 2 established stores. It has to be an issue with the commercial customers.....just my 2cents worth

Truefire

New User
Chris
Does anyone know where they plan on putting the store at in Raleigh? any ideas?

Richo- if you're ever sourcing wood downeast, Stuart over at the NC Furniture School in Winterville can get just about any type of wood one might be looking. Just a thought and fuel saver.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
What????!!!! There aren't any woodworking supply stores inside a city the size of Greensboro? Wow! That is bizarre.....to me. Without wood, what do folks do? I mean really!!! Please don't say ballgames.

Woodworkers supply doesnt sell lumber, just tools, machinery and hardware, etc… We have a couple good soursces for lumber here, NC Hardwood store and Wall lumber. While theyre not IN Greensboro, theyre arent too far to get to. FYI… I hate ballgames! :)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Woodworkers supply doesnt sell lumber, just tools, machinery and hardware, etc… We have a couple good soursces for lumber here, NC Hardwood store and Wall lumber. While theyre not IN Greensboro, theyre arent too far to get to. FYI… I hate ballgames! :)

Yeah I understand that, I actually buy from them online quite a bit. My comment regarding ball games wasn't meant to offend anyone. We talk wood here!!! :D

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Speaking of outlets in the Winston/GSO area, not sure if Clemmons Hardwood is still open on 158 in Clemmons - outskirts of Winston-Salem - but they used to sell mostly milled lumber. I used them 25-30 years ago for heart pine flooring, wormy chestnut stairtreads and heart redwood railings in the log cabin I built in Virginia.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I am really surprised that with them being the only store between Raleigh and Winston Salem they would have a lot of walkin volumne. Always seemed to be busy when I've been there. Then moving to an area that already has 2 established stores. It has to be an issue with the commercial customers.....just my 2cents worth

I don't think the "walk in" trade was their primary focus. This is one of 3 locations they have in the U.S. and their main focus is the warehouse operation. With most of their business going out the door via either UPS or FedEx, and then to an air terminal, it makes more sense for them to be near a major airport. They can probably negotiate better freight rates. From their current location in Graham, they are not near any decent airport. This is purely speculation on my part, but I suspect the move has more to do w/ proximity to the airport than enhancing their walk-in traffic. :dontknow:

Does anyone know where they plan on putting the store at in Raleigh? any ideas?

The salesman I talked to didn't know the exact location, but said it will be somewhere along Hwy. 70, near the airport.

Truefire

New User
Chris
I don't think the "walk in" trade was their primary focus. This is one of 3 locations they have in the U.S. and their main focus is the warehouse operation. With most of their business going out the door via either UPS or FedEx, and then to an air terminal, it makes more sense for them to be near a major airport. They can probably negotiate better freight rates. From their current location in Graham, they are not near any decent airport. This is purely speculation on my part, but I suspect the move has more to do w/ proximity to the airport than enhancing their walk-in traffic. :dontknow:

The salesman I talked to didn't know the exact location, but said it will be somewhere along Hwy. 70, near the airport.

That makes perfect sense. Its highly probable that you are spot on-

Oh, ok.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Chris - though I'm aware of Stuart's operation up in Winterville I get my wood from Precision Molding right here in New Bern. I'm not interested in the expensive stuff. Right now I'm doing a project with the waste wood that gets thrown in the dumpsters behind their operation base. Good pine but for some reason they can't use it. For the tinkering that I'm doing its just right, for my uses.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Chris - though I'm aware of Stuart's operation up in Winterville I get my wood from Precision Molding right here in New Bern. I'm not interested in the expensive stuff. Right now I'm doing a project with the waste wood that gets thrown in the dumpsters behind their operation base. Good pine but for some reason they can't use it. For the tinkering that I'm doing its just right, for my uses.

Gotcha, the reason I mentioned it was because earlier you were making reference to driving to Raleigh for woodworking supplies. It was just a FWIW and located between that travel.

Yeah, big industries waste huge amounts of lumber. I recall years ago Weyerhauser digging huge holes that measured many acres in size, dumping what appeared to be decent pine lumber into said holes - 2x material. Thousands of board feet into the holes and buried them. I'm certain it had something to do with kiln drying issues and perhaps nematodes...Who knows but at any rate that stuff could have been used in one means or another. Bothers me something terrible. Heck, if nothing else, it could have been used to heat greenhouses, wood shops, chips for carbonaceous diapers for natural farming ops or the like. Just trying to figure out how such wasteful mindsets are even birthed to begin with.

Well, I have a lot of great opinions regarding same :rotflm:

Richo B

New User
Richo
Actually Precision Molding do a great job of sourcing their waste to good use. Most of it gets sent somewhere for recycling into energy. The stuff in the dumpsters are for the community. Some people use it to burn in fireplaces and stoves. Then there are people like me who use it for woodworking projects. I love their system and have heard about if for some time from my volunteers but never believed it until I took a tour of the place myself. Amazing operation.

But back to the topic at hand. I will have to rely on Woodcraft and Klingspor's for my tools and such. For now I have everything I need to do some wonderful projects. But someday I might need another tool. I've found that some of the tools I need can't be found at either or Woodworker's Supply because there really isn't a market for them anymore. Bit & Brace augers are an example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS