Tulip Sideboard - The Beginning Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks, it's been awhile since I've done a WIP series so here it goes. This project is a large Cherry Sideboard that will have tulip marquetry on the 2 center doors.

The 1st week involved drawing out a full size layout of the piece as well as processing and selecting the lumber for the case. The Cherry for the carcass is from a matched set of boards I bought from Mike Callahan 3 or 4 years ago, and the top is going to be a single board (yep you read that right) that I purchased from Rick up at The Woodworking Source with this project in mind about a year ago.

Here's the initial design sketch:

Tulip_Sideboard_idea_sketch_Small_.jpg

Here's the full size template:
tulip_sideboard_week1_006_Small_.jpg

After letting the cherry acclimate to my shop for a couple of weeks I began to process some of the case pieces this week,

1st was the legs and the front lower and upper rails:
tulip_sideboard_week1_001_Small_.jpg

tulip_sideboard_week1_014_Small_.jpg

tulip_sideboard_week1_016_Small_.jpg

Then I went ahead and cut up the board for drawer fronts (it's overthick for the 3/4 drawer fronts-more on that later) Note here however that this board was 16" wide so the drawers should all have grain continuity as well as be perfect color matches
tulip_sideboard_week1_004_Small_.jpg

tulip_sideboard_week1_008_Small_.jpg

and then to round out the week, I got the side and door plywood cut and started to tongue and groove them to apply solid wood edging. These pieces are going to be veneered- the sides with solid wood ~1/8 thick and the doors with the veneer with the marquetry design.
tulip_sideboard_week1_010_Small_.jpg

tulip_sideboard_week1_011_Small_.jpg

That's it for this week, next week I'll start the carcase joinery for the front, make the side panels and make the frame and panel back (if all goes as planned)

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
It took you all week to do that?!?!
You're going to have to speed it up if you ever want to make any money doing this!!! :slap:

Seriously - That's a good start. Looking forward to seeing more. Especially the tulip marquetry.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Gee thanks, Mike. :eusa_danc Now you've got me all excited to see the final product, and I've got to wait. :5sigh: But given the quality of work you've been turning out lately, I know it will be worth the wait.

Is this a commission, or just something you want to build?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
It took you all week to do that?!?!
You're going to have to speed it up if you ever want to make any money doing this!!! :slap:

Pete, yeah I know, that REAL job thing keeps getting in the way:eusa_thin

Bill, this was actually a Gallery requested piece, I presented the idea to them and they said they'd love to have it, the real question is whether we can find the right buyer, only time will tell. But 1st I've actually gotta build the thing, a daunting task indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS