Double sided (carpet) tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Just thought I'd throw my first tip in because when I logged on this AM I got a message reminding me that I hadn't contributed to a forum in two weeks and gently nudging me to do so! I liked the reminder. For those of you who haven't yet discovered it, double sided tape is one of the handiest things I've found to have in my shop. It is frequently sold as "carpet" tape, and can be found in most home stores like Lowes, Home Depot etc. It comes in varying strengths and thicknesses, and in varying widths. Depending on the quality it can hold really well. I've used it to hold jigs and guides in place, to "reattach" pieces of, say, a queen anne leg for second and third cuts on a bandsaw, to attach blocks to the unfinished side of pieces so that I can hold them while finishing, to temporarily attach a guide or cut-off block to a fence etc. It's easy to use and has saved me lots of time and work.
Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great tip!!! I've never seen that reminder...nice feature. I use double sided Duct tape, and man that stuff will hold well. You don't really need to us but a few 1/2" squares to mount a template for pattern routing. But sometimes the residue is hard to remove if you've left it on too long. Does double stick carpet tape clean up easier???

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I used to use it when I was scrollsawing stacked pieces, but it tended to hold too well, and I broke a few. It does, however, have many better uses in the shop. I wondered when I saw your post title abbreviated: Double sided (carpet) - wonders how that worked :lol:

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
you know that is one of those things in the shop that I have needed a million times. (that I always forget to purchase when Im at the store) I will have to get some and stock up when I get back. Thanks for the reminder

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
with all the other things you will have accumulated on your 'to-do' list, I am sure double sided tape will not even get near the top.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great tip.

I use it all the time also. Dave, I've never had it to leave a sticky mess. Just get one corner loose and just pull it off or roll it up in a ball. I haven't left it on for days, so I don't know if it will come off after leaving it on for a long time.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I bought some "turners" double-sided tape a while back from Woodcraft. It's great, but a bit pricey. Does anyone have any recommendations on other (hopefully cheaper) brandes from one of the home centers?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Great tip!!! I've never seen that reminder...nice feature. I use double sided Duct tape, and man that stuff will hold well. You don't really need to us but a few 1/2" squares to mount a template for pattern routing. But sometimes the residue is hard to remove if you've left it on too long. Does double stick carpet tape clean up easier???

Dave:)

I haven't been using the double sided stuff, but was wondering... if anything stickey gets left behind, would something like Mineral Spirits do for a cleaner?

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great reminder Roger. Until recently I had been using spray on adhesive, when I finally got around to double-sided tape I was really surprised. Better holding strength and much less gunk left after removing. :-D

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
I use a 1" Wide 3M brand - very easy to apply and clean up but tolerates no dust on the surfaces or it's like you didn't put any on.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
I think it cleans up easier. If there is some gunk, I use either a scraper, or a product called "Goo Gone" (also Lowes etc.) which is great around the house (removing price tag stickers etc.) or mineral spirits. The thicker stuff, frequently the kind with a cross hatched nylon base, can be gunky. But overall, unless it has been pur under much pressure or left a long time I have not had much trouble removing it.
Roger

hannah01

New User
Joe
Walmart sells a double-sided duct tape that works very well. I don't remember the cost, but it's probably as cheap as you'll find. Didn't have any problem with sticky residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS