exotic toothpick holders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
These were made as gifts, but had to keep one for myself.
The Madrone burl was probably the hardest to make, as I made it on my old lathe and drilled out the center on my drill press. The wood got so hot that I could only drill about 5 sec., then let it cool for 3 or 4 minutes. It took most of a day to drill it. The bubinga was the remnant left on the lathe after making an ice cream scoop handle, and both the TP and the scoop went to a good friend. The Brazilian Tulip wood was also the remnant left after turning an ice cream scoop handle. The dogwood TP went to my son in his Birthday gift box, and the cherry burl with walnut was a Christmas gift to my mother-in-law. I kept the tulip TP for myself! To do the insert, I drilled a 1/2" hole (Forsner bit) through the center of the square block and took a 1/2" piece of walnut dowel for the insert. As both seemed to be exactly 1/2", I took the dowel and put it in the drill press like it was a bit. I put it on a low speed and put some 220 grit sandpaper to it until it fit. I did not want to get the problem of it going ALMOST all the way into the block (and then get stuck), so I then cut the dowel in half and inserted a section into each side. added a little titebond 3 before insertion. I did find that my clearance was so tight that when I put the second one it, the air being compressed in the center of the block was not a willing partner in the project, so I had to tap it down with a rubber mallet and then put a clamp on it until it dried. I guess a drill hole down through the middle would have taken care of the pressure, but 'live and learn'. I did the insert just for a little contrast and to keep my mother-in-law guessing how I did it. The cherry burl wood stock was reclaimed from a round I bought on ebay that ended up splitting from the outer edge to the center. It was coated with anchorseal when I bought it, but must have been a bit green (ebay purchase).

I like making TP holders, as they are quick to make, easy to finish (HUT CRYSTAL COAT is my preferred finish) and I get do them on a moment's notice when a gift is needed. I keep a few boxes of toothpicks in the house, and load them up before giving them away. I just put the picks in there tight (like in the bubinga picture) and put a piece of plastic over the top and secure with a rubber band.

I sand all of my TP's to a 2000 grit, including the inside. Now that I have a Nova 22-42, I bought the drill chuck adapter for the tailstock and drill them using a forsner bit while still on the headstock chuck.

Dave Peterson

TPS.JPG

manfre

New User
Manfre
Those are really cool gifts. I need to make myself one because I don't like the plastic holder that I have.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
From a lump of wood on the bench to a finished project: about 2 hours for me, including 1/2 that time going through all the sanding grits. the HUT CRYSTAL COAT takes about 20 sec and the finish is done.

Dave Peterson

T

toolferone

From a lump of wood on the bench to a finished project: about 2 hours for me, including 1/2 that time going through all the sanding grits. the HUT CRYSTAL COAT takes about 20 sec and the finish is done.

Dave Peterson

This is why the lathe has such a draw to it. Instantly gratifying!

Nice holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS