A shaper gloat and some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Picked up this shaper from Ron (yellowfins) on Wednesday. A big Thank You to Ron.

Shaper_001.JPG

View image in gallery

Haven't done anything with it yet, except get it into the shop. Only took this one picture to satisfy the 'rules'. :gar-Bi

I am planning to use it with my larger router bits for now.

So, all you shaper users. where do you buy your tooling and what brands and types of cutters do you use/recommend?

I'm thinking that I want to get an insert head and buy cutters for it as needed. Anyone have any experience with the CMT sets? Or Amana (although they seem a bit pricey).

How long do the HSS cutters last and how difficult are they to sharpen? Or, where do you get yours sharpened?

Tell me everything you know about shapers. :eusa_danc

TIA.

M

McRabbet

If you plan to have decent results, buy good quality carbide cutters -- I'd recommend Freud as well as the CMT and Amana lines.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mark,

Freud, Amana, Freeborn Tool, etc all make great cutters. The insert tooling is nice too.

However, what I would suggest is that until you know which cutters that you will use the most, simply buy your cutters from Grizzly. You can't beat the quality for the price, and once you figure out what you use the most, then go ahead and buy a higher quality version.

Scott

Skymaster

New User
Jack
DARN YOU SCOTTY! You said my post b4 I could post my post therefore I now have nothing to post so now I am feeling quite postless :wconfused::wconfused::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Similar to Scott's post - I have been using Woodline (Tier2/3) shaper cutters and they work nicely.

I wouldn't bother with insert tooling unless you have a clear slate of projects that makes it economically viable. IMO, insert tooling makes sense if you need a large number of different profiles and/or grind custom knives. My guess is you'll probably need one or two sets of raised panel cutters (rail, stile, panel) and that's it for the next several YEARS.

My other concern - not founded on any experience with the stuff - is that all insert tooling seems to be 2-knive set-ups with no chip-limiting. That seems to make a fairly ominous operation - hand-feeding a shaper - even more foreboding. YMMV.

Cut with Woodline cutters:
Bookcase_back_640_480.jpg

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS