.023 kerf TS blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Does anyone have or know where I can get a 10" TS blade that cuts a .023 kerf? I've looked around and all I've found is this one. I sure would like more options than just one. There is also one here but the required stabilizers are turning me off. I'm wondering if a custom saw shop might be able to grind a a good quality non-carbide plywood blade to cut a .023 kerf?

What's the collective brain trust thinking?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've also looked for other options for a .023 kerf (fret cutting) blade and the two you mentioned were the only two useable options, I came up with. I did find a blade on EBAY, but the arbor was too big for my saw. Also it's in the UK. I have the Stew-mac blade and it does a nice job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luthiers-15...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item519b49e2ec

Thanks for the reply, I guess when it comes to fret slotting - options are very limited. It just seems like there should be more options out there.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Does anyone have or know where I can get a 10" TS blade that cuts a .023 kerf? I've looked around and all I've found is this one. I sure would like more options than just one. There is also one here but the required stabilizers are turning me off. I'm wondering if a custom saw shop might be able to grind a a good quality non-carbide plywood blade to cut a .023 kerf?

What's the collective brain trust thinking?

Take a look at the Zona 35-350

I've talked to a few guys who have used them and like them. It says its .22 but I was pretty sure it was .23 even if is getting it to .23 shouldn't take much persuasion.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hi again,
I was checking out the website for the “High Mountain Tonewood Company” today and found that they sell a fret saw blade for $43.50. It needs stiffeners, but they recommend the ones at Lee Valley, which are only $16.80 The kerf seems a little wide though. Not sure what’s up there.
http://highmountaintonewood.com/id27.htm
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=30075&cat=1,41080,51225
Roger

Thanks Roger - I knew there had to be other alternatives :thumbs_up So tell me abit about your setup are you using your TS, a shooting board and stewmac template?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
msc sells slotting blades with a 5/8" bore with a 0.023" thickness. They are 2.24" in diameter. If you are slotting for frets you are not cutting very deeply. They are about $15.00 apiece + SHI.

Just a thought.

rcm

New User
Roger
Jeff,
I am using the Stew-Mac blade with there template on my table saw. I built a jig to do it. It works really well and it’s a whole faster and cleaner. I was trying to cut them by hand with a miter box and hand saw. It worked OK but I am a newbie and wanted something easy so I decided that I’d just go for the Stew Mac set up. I too, looked at the LMII set up ,but the price was way too high. If I’d know about the Lee Valley stiffeners, I think I’d, now, get the LMII blade. It’s a little cheaper. What are you using?

I am into building acoustic guitars. I’ve only done one so far and it turned out better than I had hope. What kind of instruments are you doing?

Thanks,
Roger

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff,
I am using the Stew-Mac blade with there template on my table saw. I built a jig to do it. It works really well and it’s a whole faster and cleaner. I was trying to cut them by hand with a miter box and hand saw. It worked OK but I am a newbie and wanted something easy so I decided that I’d just go for the Stew Mac set up. I too, looked at the LMII set up ,but the price was way too high. If I’d know about the Lee Valley stiffeners, I think I’d, now, get the LMII blade. It’s a little cheaper. What are you using?

I am into building acoustic guitars. I’ve only done one so far and it turned out better than I had hope. What kind of instruments are you doing?

Thanks,
Roger

Roger I too am a newbie... I've built two 4 string electric base guitars and am on my third. I've not done any fret work yet but am getting setup to start.

The first one I built I bought a pre made bolt on 24 fret / 34 inch scale neck.

My second is a craved top semi hollow body and I bought a pre slotted 24 fret finger board that I epoxied aluminum strips in and radiused @ 16" to make a fretless. I made the rest of the neck myself, it's also a 34" scale.

My 3rd is a 33 3/8" scale 2" thick semi hollow body that will have 2 necks, a unmarked fretless and a 20 fret. 33 3/8 is a modified 34" scale - the first fret is cut off a 34" to make a 33 3/8". I have the fretless neck completed and I'm starting to shape the fretted neck.

I sure would like to hook up with someone that could show me the ins and outs of fretting. Book learning only goes so far you know.

Thanks

rcm

New User
Roger
Jeff,

Sounds like you have some nice basses. I'd like to try to make one someday. I found that fretting was a little scary too. I bought a book from Stew-Mac that was helpful. I did a lot of reading and I practiced on an old cheap guitar I picked up on EBAY. I also got a lot of info on tools and techniques from the Frank Ford website. www.frets.com
Got any pictures of your work?

Roger

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The Flush Cut saw they sell at HF is what I use. The one I have leaves a perfect .023" kerf.

Shane's fret slotting blade at High Mt. Tonewoods has quite a following at the Official Luthiers Forum if you want a circular saw blade. Another option is to buy a .020 slitting blade with an inch arbor and put a 1 inch to 5/8" adapter in it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3044a78/=emglss
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3088a773/=emgfkx

Hi Mark - you mean this HF one? ---> http://www.harborfreight.com/japanese-flush-cut-saw-39273.html is it a HF gem?

image_17325.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

Sounds like you have some nice basses. I'd like to try to make one someday. I found that fretting was a little scary too. I bought a book from Stew-Mac that was helpful. I did a lot of reading and I practiced on an old cheap guitar I picked up on EBAY. I also got a lot of info on tools and techniques from the Frank Ford website. www.frets.com
Got any pictures of your work?

Roger

Here is a pic of the one I'm currently working on

I'm still collecting parts... which is proving pretty challenging - only because my goal is 100% Made In America. I would have been done already if I would buy foreign made parts... I'm waiting for Hipshot to tool up and make a run of tuners. Then I can give this thing some ears and strings. I could buy hipshot tunners, from overseas seller but that would defeat the purpose - so I'll wait.

Sorry for the bad pic - I have no idea what's wrong with my camera.

P10101111.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS