new jointer needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
My jointer layed down on me last night and need to buy another one. I have a 6", but while I am buying I would like a larger capacity. I can't afford a lot, but looking at somewhere between $600 to $800 I am thinking. I found this one at Woodcraft. It is below my budget but don't know much about Jet and wanted to know if anyone has this one. 10 inch capacity is alot more than I have now. I can't afford 12" that I want (you know how that goes). Or if anyone has another option, I am open. I have already searched CL, but didn't find much.

kernnal

New User
Eric
Simply based on the reviews I read on the link you provided, I would say your rolling the dice on this one.:icon_scra

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
With that said, I am looking at a Shop Fox W1679 & W1745 & Grizzly G0452P & G0604X (which is a parallelagram and not exactly sure what the advantage of that is)
I've seen the 10" JET (JJP-10BTOS), and it is definitely a specialty machine. Its 10" capacity is huge for a jointer, but small for a planer. Also, it is light-weight, with modest power. At the risk of gross generalization and doing the machine injustice, to me it's a solution for people with a very small shop that generally build jewelry boxes, cutting boards, etc. Long boards for cabinetry would be a challenge on this machine.

The Grizzly/ Shop Fox machines you mentioned are solid 6" jointers. I used to have the G0452, and it performed well. As for the difference between dovetailed and paralleogram jointers, see the following from the woodweb archive:
A parallelogram jointer offers four point adjustability for each table. Dovetailed ways units can only be shimmed to account for sag. Also p-tables can be removed and ground and reinstalled if it's warped. D-table jointers must be ground as an entire unit. There really is no real adjustment on d-tables except shimming. P-table has a slightly tighter throat because of the table movement but it's an insignificant reason. P-tables are much more complicated to take off compared to d-tables. My personal favorite table design is the inclines on old Olivers, and Crescents. They are the simplest and best to remove and adjust.
This image from woodworkingtalk might help:
diagramparrallelogramjointer.jpg

Several people here on the site have the Ridgid JP0610 and like the machine. At $429 (plus tax), it's very reasonably priced.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
did the motor die? a new motor is a fraction of the cost of a new jointer...... If it is bearings those are cheap too. If it is a decent tool and you like it why not fix whatever is wrong [within reason of coarse]:icon_thum

kclark

New User
Kevin
did you see the above post of mine for the powermatic on CL for $375?

Trying to find out what model it is

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
A bunch of us here got the ShopFox 1741 8" jointers ~5 years ago. I have been very happy with mine. I think they have a Shelix head version now which would use most of your $1500.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I'd look around for a 12". I had a 6" then upgraded to the Grizzly G0609 12". It's nice being at the lumber yard and being able to purchase wide boards and not worry about ripping them down to joint them! I've heard good things about the spiral/shelix heads, but I wouldn't spend the money on them (unless it's a great deal!). I'd rather have the spiral/shelix head on a planer since I'll plane both sides after jointing one side.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS