Dust Collector setup ideas needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeP

New User
Wade
Getting to the point where I need to add some DC to my work area. I've been using my shop vac connected to the port for my table saw and nothing on the blade guard. But as you know that doesn't work too well, still lots of dust all over the place.

My space is small (12x24) and is shared as general storage for other 'stuff' so dust all over everything just isn't good. Not to mention that breathing is something I enjoy doing . . .

As usuall budget is the restraining factor! I'm looking to stay under $300.

What options do you think would give me the best results? I'm thinking something like the HF 2HP collector (5micron bag) with an inline trashcan using a cyclon top to help seperate the big stuff. Or do you think one of the mini DC with an upgraded bag and the 'can would work?

Ducting (if used) would be short with only a 2-3 drops and most likely only one drop being used at at time since I'm not at the stage where I have multiple machines running at once.

One thing I hate is reinventng the wheel and I know this is something that others have figured out long ago.

Thanks for any advice.
Wade

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If the HF DC is 14" in diameter, then Rockler stocks a 1.0 micron replacement bag for about $30 that will fit in place of the upper. Add a Phil Thien baffle to the ring, and a plastic lower bag. Google "Phil Thien," and go to his web site and spend some time reading about similar installs.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Yup, what Bruce said. You can easily build a Thein baffle in just a couple of hours and not too much money. I had one on a Rubbermaid Brute trash can.

If you don't want to build one, check out the Rockler Vortex kit:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30068&filter=vortex

I had the HF 2hp DC for a while. It worked pretty good with short 4" flex pipe. I did upgrade the bags to .5 micron needle felt bags. You can also get Wynn cartridge filter that will give more surface area than bags for the exhaust so it won't clog up as quickly.

My space is small (12x24)

12 x 24 I feel you pain cause that is what I am in also... I am going to add on to mine about a 2 x 4 foot closet outside and put the collector in it. the room that will save will be lifesaving in a space our size I figure

I have the hf dust collector bought on sale and ditched the bag and bought the washable filter from wynn environmental and added the thein baffle .. I think it is a ok combination for the budget.. the air flow gained ditching the filter bag for the wynn filter was very noticable... quiter with more air flow. I like the people at wynn alot they are very helpful but I would also look at the offering from penn state industries although I would double check the quality of their filters compared to wynns you might come out with a better deal getting the filter and collector together... otherwise I am happy with my combo I just want to relocate mine in it own room

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For under $300, the HF dust collector + replacement filter canister/ bag + Thien separator cannot be beat. There are lots of pictures on the Thien separator forum that show how you can integrate the trash can with the DC to save space:

P1010387.JPG

Or even more heavily modified:
index.php

dd2.JPG

zapdafish

New User
Steve
i've got the harbor freight setup with the wynn filter, thein separator, and remote startup that I am looking to replace. If you're interested give me a pm.

I got a new jointer/planer and need something more powerful.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I have the dewalt dw735 planer and a dust collector from rockler with 4" hose. What connection do you use to go from the 4" hose to planer. I can't find the right combination.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have the dewalt dw735 planer and a dust collector from rockler with 4" hose. What connection do you use to go from the 4" hose to planer. I can't find the right combination.

Kevin

Here is what I am using to connect my DW735 to the DC (trash can seperator) with 4" hose.

A 4" hose end dust collection end...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000899/31194/4-Inch-Hose-End-Dust-Collection-Fitting.aspx

And a 45 degree elbow....

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000899/25954/Dust-Collection-Fitting-45degree-Elbow-4-OD.aspx

The elbow helps to route the hose to the side of the outfeed table as opposed to straight back, getting in the way of the outfeed.

Wayne

WadeP

New User
Wade
12 x 24 I feel you pain cause that is what I am in also... I am going to add on to mine about a 2 x 4 foot closet outside and put the collector in it. the room that will save will be lifesaving in a space our size I figure . . .

I've thought about adding an outside closet but I'm as close to the setback line as I can get on 2 sides and the other 2 sides are visible from the back deck. Don't know if wife will let me build a bump out that can be seen from the house!

I've thought about adding an outside closet but I'm as close to the setback line as I can get on 2 sides and the other 2 sides are visible from the back deck. Don't know if wife will let me build a bump out that can be seen from the house!

just add one across the whole front so it will not look different to her

yea setbacks are a bummer I am sure you can figure a work around it maybe

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Kevin

Here is what I am using to connect my DW735 to the DC (trash can seperator) with 4" hose.

A 4" hose end dust collection end...

And a 45 degree elbow....

The elbow helps to route the hose to the side of the outfeed table as opposed to straight back, getting in the way of the outfeed.

Wayne

My goodness, you've gone all out! I just use a simple heavy-duty twist-tie and tie the 4" hose off to the right-side handle. That keeps the hose well out of the way without tieing up any extra fittings. This issue is, IMHO, the only real design flaw in the DW735... I don't know how DeWalt missed that their exhaust location leaves the hose draped over the outfeed table!

jobelenus

New User
bigjohn
Dewalt makes a connector for the 735 - I think it costs around 7-9 dollars - picked mine up in the dewalt store in Charlotte
Also - my shop is in the garage and I simply hoist the hose up using a bent up hanger on the door opener rail to clear the outfeed area

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Delta Lunchbox is the same - chute over the outfeed table. I just put a clamp sticking up from my assembly table to the right of the planer and route the hose behind that to keep it out of the way.

- Ken.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
If you go the HF route, make sure you use 5" hose wherever possible and the Wynn filter, the difference is significant. Search under my previous posts and you will see some cfm data I posted showing the difference between 4" and 5" hose.

Next project for me is to build and install the thien separator in the dc itself, then save up for a 3hp cyclone so I can power over and under blade table saw dust collection.

If you go the HF route, make sure you use 5" hose wherever possible and the Wynn filter, the difference is significant. Search under my previous posts and you will see some cfm data I posted showing the difference between 4" and 5" hose.

Next project for me is to build and install the thien separator in the dc itself, then save up for a 3hp cyclone so I can power over and under blade table saw dust collection.

what 5" hose do you use ???

JimD

Jim
Senior User
A suggestion on blast gates. I used plastic ones at first and didn't like them. I currently use wooden ones I made. Simple sliders of scraps. I put them at the machines but if I was to do it again, I would put the gates at the DC. Then I wouldn't have to walk to the gate I want to turn off and the gate I want to open and also the DC to turn it on. One trip to the DC would get it done.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS