BOD meeting needed on classified policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I would like to do this Wednesday the 24th at 8:00 PM if that is good for everyone.

M

McRabbet

That should work for me. Would you get a draft agenda to Trent to post? Thanks. Look forward to the discussion.

PS - Today I dropped off the events stuff (easels, posters, banner, coffee cups, hats, sound system) with Reggie Medlin (Jackleg) in Albemarle to pass on to Dennis for events like the Stanly County AgriCenter fair on the 27th.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That should work for me. Would you get a draft agenda to Trent to post? Thanks. Look forward to the discussion.

PS - Today I dropped off the events stuff (easels, posters, banner, coffee cups, hats, sound system) with Reggie Medlin (Jackleg) in Albemarle to pass on to Dennis for events like the Stanly County AgriCenter fair on the 27th.

Sorry guys, just got in from Texas. I put an agenda together here. I went through the BoD forum and tried to include any topics of discussion that I saw and felt hadn't been resolved. That being said, I am pretty tired right now, so please feel free to reply with anything to add or remove. Thanks.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Also, just tried to upload the minutes from the last conference call to the Download Library (both as a text reply and a .doc upload) and neither worked.... :eusa_thin

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I post the following quote as a piece of history from a moderation issue I was involved in last year. It's worth considering in the context of this topic. The pertinent statement is in red:

Administrator

DQ Qualified
Corporate Member
Bas from
Raleigh, NC

Re: A 'conversation' with Jackleg
Dennis, but I think your comment was out of line.
It's different when the BOD is trying to curry favor with middle of the road sponsors to try & keep the funding going for this site so we don't have to pay dues.
Our moderation policies and actions have NEVER been influenced by our sponsors. They are solely to protect our membership here. I know you tried to make a point with Jackleg, but this opens a container full of worms. The next time someone writes "Don't buy JET tools, JET tools are a piece of sh**" and we moderate it, we'll get the accusation that we're biased. And even if we did want to make sure our site was something our sponsors would be proud to be associated with, the term "currying favor" implies a rather slavish relationship. I'd like to think we'd be more independent than that.

I suggest you send a PM to Jackleg that you were simply following site policy, and the comment about sponsors was something you wrote by mistake.

cskipper

Cathy
Okay, now I'm confused. What was the issue with Jackleg at the time? Maybe knowing that will put your last post in context for me.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The issue was moderation of a post for implied profanity (subsequently withdrawn). The point made by Bas was, I believe, relevant here. I fear vendors and advertisers attempting to influence policies to the detriment of members.
I'll try and relay a parallel example:
Many years ago I was involved with the Mint Hill Business Association & their fall festival known as 'Mint Hill Madness'. As is always the case with any community event, funding was critical and corporate sponsors were solicited for donations. Many sponsors came forward with large contributions to feature their organization prominently in the advertising.
A few years after I left, they were approached by a large bottling company to sponsor the event with a large amount of cash for the coffers. They did so on the following condition: All soft drinks sold at the festival were to be their name brand, bought directly from them and the final sales price determined by them. Many local organizations, such as the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Volunteer Fire Dept. used this event to raise operating capital. They would purchase soft drinks from local supermarkets through the year when on sale and stock them up for the event.
You can see where this would lead.
The Steering Committed declined their offer.
We do need to be careful in deciding where we're going with this. The privileges and rights of all parties involved should be weighed. I feel that we heard good discussions on all sides last night and hope we all realize the possible consequences of what we do. I believe we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS