Not the way I wanted to get turning blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Good news: I have a bunch of Bradford Pear turning blanks in my front yard

:eusa_thin

Bad news: I just lost a mature Bradford Pear to the high winds of tonight's thunderstorm

:wsad:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ouch, sorry to hear that Bob. When I first saw the title I thought you had miscut a few boards for a project and all they're now good for were turning blanks. This is much worse.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's not a matter of if a Bradford Pear will blow down or break apart, it's a matter of when. Did it break at the root stock graft line about 6" above the ground or split at the branching crotch?

Dave:)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I think all trees fall eventually, but it doesn't help when it's some kind of perverted man made tree like a Bradford Pear. We (man) should learn to leave well enough alone instead of trying to improve what was for greed for money (can't you tell, I'm totally against genetic engineering). Oh well I'm sure you'll find some crazy thing to do with it on the spinny machine.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
It's not a matter of if a Bradford Pear will blow down or break apart, it's a matter of when. Did it break at the root stock graft line about 6" above the ground or split at the branching crotch?

IMG-20110629-00052.jpg

View image in gallery

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, that's typical for a Bradford Pear. You'll rarely see one more than 15 years old with a full crown. The branches crotch angles are so tight that when the branches expand as they grow the wood doesn't fuse together and you get a bark inclusion. Pretty soon you have 6" dia branches with only about 2-3" of sound wood.
I bet if you look at the point of breakage, you will see exactly what I am talking about.

Tiffany

New User
Tiffany
Bradford pears do look pretty, but I think they stink when they flower. So look at it this way, next time you can plant a tree that doesn't stink every spring. :gar-Bi Sorry you have to deal with that though, that part is never fun.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Bradford pears are gorgeous in the spring. One of my favorite trees when blooming. Sorry you lost a gorgeous tree like that.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bradford pears do look pretty, but I think they stink when they flower. So look at it this way, next time you can plant a tree that doesn't stink every spring. :gar-Bi Sorry you have to deal with that though, that part is never fun.

They stink because they flower before Bees are really active so they have to rely on Flies as pollinators and they smell like something Flies would like.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
They stink because they flower before Bees are really active so they have to rely on Flies as pollinators and they smell like something Flies would like.

I seem to recall a lot more honey bees when I was a kid. I've been out side a lot this summer and have not seen one honey bee. Lots of yellow jackets and wasps, a few carpenter bees. What happened to all the honey bees? bad year for them maybe?

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
:eusa_thinHow does Bradford Pear turn? I lost one too, all the way to the ground. A little larger than yours but I threw it all out because I figured t would be stringy etc. My shop is down right now anyway but I could have/should have saved some?

mtnfyre

New User
Bradley
Bradford pears are pretty trees for sure.
They seem to get leaves just in time for spring ice to build up and break them.
Most around here are heavily damaged but they still are pretty, even if not symmetrical.
The wood turns pretty well and can look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS