Project Request: Little Peg People

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becky Jaine

Hi,

I'm trying to find American made little peg people. Basically, those I find in stores and online are all manufactured in China. Every company I have spoken with has told me it's impossible to find an American source for these, but I just can't accept that. I'd like to have these made in the USA by a local woodworker or wood company. (I'm in Raleigh, so closeby would be fantastic!) I was referred here by the good folks at Woodcraft, in the hopes that I might find someone who'd like to tackle this project.

I need 100 each of the following shapes and approx. sizes* (This Web site has images similar to what I'm looking for http://www.woodcrafter.com/angelsandpeople-2.aspx).
3 9/16" X 1 1/8" Large Man
3.5" X 1.5" Large Woman (like the "small angel")
2 3/8" X 7/8" Med Man
2 3/4" X 2/4" Med Woman wavy (like "Hardword Pawn")
2" X 7/8" Girl wavy
2" X 7/8" Girl with skirt ("angel", not wavy)
1 11/16" X 5/8" Boy
1 1/8" X 5/8" Toddler

*The peg people should be made from American-sourced wood, preferably FSC certified.(If using poplar dowels, Lowes carries Madison Mill's dowels and I think those are FSC-cert and American.)I've provided the sizes as a starting place, and actual sizes can deviate slightly based on what makes most econominical sense given the source material size. They will not need to fit in anything, but basically I need them to scale against each other as they will be used as families.

Once I get them, they will be painted, so I prefer to receive them ready to be painted.

Thank you SO much for reading and for your consideration. I really hope this project is appealing! If you know of any American company that is already making these, I'd be so thankful for the redirection. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at becky@monkeychimonkeydo.com .

Becky Jaine
Raleigh, NC

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think the price is gonna kill it for any American. 99 cents for ten pieces has to be automated and the set up will not be covered by only 100 pieces.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I think the price is gonna kill it for any American. 99 cents for ten pieces has to be automated and the set up will not be covered by only 100 pieces.

I think it's safe to assume that she's willing to pay more than the cheapest import, otherwise she would have bought the ones she linked. Probably not cost effective due to the low volume, but who knows how much of premium she's willing to pay for her esty items.

B

Becky Jaine

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes, I am aware that to have these made in the here will cost more. I'd like to know how much it would cost to commission a woodworker in the US to make them, as my business strives to use American sourced and produced materials, even if it costs me more than importing. I believe that as more businesses commit to this, the stronger our economy will become.

What type of machine is used to automate/produce this type of proudct? Is the equipment something that an individual might own, or would it be a larger manufacturer? Does this project sound like something that someone here might be interested in?

Additionally, if the "wavy" peg people are tricky, those are not essential. I could just use the 6 sizes/shapes.

Thanks again for helping me.

manfre

New User
Manfre
A CNC lathe or an automated duplicator would be the most efficient means to make these little peg people. There might be someone on the NCWW forum who owns one. After all, there are a few NCWW members with laser cutters and other CNC machines that are above the normal hobbyist level.

gritz

New User
Robert
Have you thought of buying or using a lathe and making them yourself? With a few sourcing and coaching e-mails from members, you could set up a lathe, get the proper tools, self-teach this kind of skill and be in production in a weekend.
Maybe you could get in line for the good will lathe.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
any mini lathe and a duplicator can make all of these little guys you want with very little skill involved other than the intial set up and creation of the templates.

to answer your questions these that are sold in packs of 10 for a buck are so are generally made on a "WEMA" or equivalent novelty lathe. you load a hopper and put a bucket under it to catch all the pieces that it spits out so many per minute. http://exf.ac/LC-280218 the importer in the US is Newport Specialty Machiery, www.newportsp.com, 413-598-8032. You could contact them to see if they'd at least pass your name on to some folks that have bought one and are running it. They start at 50k for the basic unit and there additional monies to get set up.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Did you come across any of these guys and contact them regarding your needs?

KidBean.com has peg people in a pull cart and the item description specifically says they're made in the USA with White pine from Maine. I didn't see the people listed separately but it might be worth and inquiry as to obtaining them that way.

CaseysWood has a big selection of them but they don't provide info as to their materials or manufacture that I could see. Maybe something that an email could easily clarify.

WoodCrafter also has some, but again no mention as to materials or manufacture.

HTH,
Bria.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Have you thought of buying or using a lathe and making them yourself? With a few sourcing and coaching e-mails from members, you could set up a lathe, get the proper tools, self-teach this kind of skill and be in production in a weekend.
Maybe you could get in line for the good will lathe.

And two weeks or more later when she doesn't have the first 100 done she ......... !

I got an order for 100 slimline pens once. I thought I'd never get done with them.

I got a request just this week for small cut out items from a painter selling wholesale ornaments. One the other day wanting crosses. Seems people want to buy American made. They usually want to sell the finished item for less than I need to make minimum wage making them by hand. I wish I could figure out how to make the numbers work. Without huge orders already on the books, 50K for a machine that just does round items sounds like a large gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS