Wood to not use for a cutting board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Are there any wood species that anyone would not use when making a cutting board? I know that some wood is unhealthy if the sawdust is breathed in and I was wondering if that holds true if it's made into a cutting board.

-NCGrimbo

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You would want to stay away from open grained woods like red oak. The wood itself may not be unhealthy, but there are too many places for juices and such to collect and/or soak in.

DWSmith

New User
David
Woods to stay away from: spalted anything, black locust (the bark will kill a mule), most cedars, pine, any wood the bugs won't eat and a lot of the exotics.

The general rule of thumb for a wood that is acceptable to use is any wood from a tree with a running sap, hard maple = maple syrup, or any tree with an edible nut or fruit. Although Oak has an edible nut, I believe the wood is far to porous to be useful.

Also, the hardness has to be considered. If you are using a European brand knife, the wood hardness isn't that meaningful. If you are using a Japanese knife which is a harder steel and has a steeper bevel angle, then the wood hardness can cause chipping problems in the edges.

Don Alexander

New User
Don
hard maple and black walnut are widely used for cutting boards probably are some others but those 2 are definitely good for the purpose

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Other than open pored woods like Red Oak which can provide places to harbor bacteria, I don't think that there is any wood which is actually dangerous to use. Seriously how much of the wood are you going to ingest by cutting on a cutting board. Even with vigorous cleaver chopping if there are chunks of wood coming off, you're doing it wrong. Even spalted wood that has been dried doesn't have any live fungi any more.

MTCW,
Dave:)

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Other than open pored woods like Red Oak which can provide places to harbor bacteria, I don't think that there is any wood which is actually dangerous to use. Seriously how much of the wood are you going to ingest by cutting on a cutting board. Even with vigorous cleaver chopping if there are chunks of wood coming off, you're doing it wrong. Even spalted wood that has been dried doesn't have any live fungi any more.

MTCW,

Is it ok to eat the dead fungi? :rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The key point is that you shouldn't be ingesting any of the cutting board, if you are you are using it wrong.
My favorite dead fungi are portabello and ****aki mushrooms sauteed with butter and garlic.

dlrion

New User
Dan
"My favorite dead fungi are portabello and ****aki mushrooms sauteed with butter and garlic."

Really!!?? Now we are starring the parts of (non english) words that sound like swear words??

That is completely ridonkulous!!!:rotflm: :gar-Bi

***Sarcasm***

DaveO

New User
DaveO
"My favorite dead fungi are portabello and ****aki mushrooms sauteed with butter and garlic."

Really!!?? Now we are starring the parts of (non english) words that sound like swear words??

That is completely ridonkulous!!!:rotflm: :gar-Bi

***Sarcasm***

We could make an exception in the editing program that would allow that particular fungi's name to be seen, but really how often do we discuss mushrooms in conjunction with woodworking. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS