Exotic Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernnal

New User
Eric
Hey all,

I am trying to get myself involved with some intarsia projects. However, I'm running into a slight problem.

Does anyone know of anywhere in eastern NC (I'm in New Bern) that I can find any species of exotic woods?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-E

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
NC wood has good stuff (at least what I've got from them before), and there are plenty of other good ebay dealers. Is there any size/shape/species you are looking for in particular? I do a lot with exotics and I may be able to give more info based on what you are looking for.

KHageman

New User
Ken
I suggest you try World Timber Corporation in Hubert, NC. They are a wholesaler of exotic woods. They do have a rather large box of odd and ends they sell by the pound that might interest you. Lots of different kinds of lumber. You just have to look. I think they have a minimum on their lumber but I don't think so on the stuff in the grab box.

Just be careful. You can go into shock seeing all the incredible stuff they have in stock.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
One more for NCWood. Have purchased a few bowl blanks from him. Would love to look thru his supply.

Duane

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I suggest you try World Timber Corporation in Hubert, NC. They are a wholesaler of exotic woods. They do have a rather large box of odd and ends they sell by the pound that might interest you. Lots of different kinds of lumber. You just have to look. I think they have a minimum on their lumber but I don't think so on the stuff in the grab box.

Just be careful. You can go into shock seeing all the incredible stuff they have in stock.

Yep bought 200Bf of Wenge from them once.
Very helpful but I remember they had a min order, but my 200 Bf order was over that for that type of wood.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I deal with both Atlantic Veneer and World Timber frequently. They both carry exotics, although World Timber has a larger selection. They do not have much in the way of American species, only curly maple, ambrosia maple, and holly I believe. Atlantic Veneer has quite a bit of American stuff, but they do not have the range of species in exotics that WT does. For example, I don't believe that they have wenge, ebony, cocobolo, East Indian rosewood, bubinga, etc.

If you want to go to World Timber, call first. Do not just show up there unannounced. If you call, ask for Matt, and tell him what you are interested in.

You do not need to call Atlantic Veneer ahead of time, but it would be worthwhile to call to get their hours. Sometimes they seem to close for an hour or two around lunch.

Hope this helps.

Matt

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Hey all,

I am trying to get myself involved with some intarsia projects. However, I'm running into a slight problem.

Does anyone know of anywhere in eastern NC (I'm in New Bern) that I can find any species of exotic woods?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-E
The Hardwood Store of NC is located in Gibsonville. We do carry exotics.

www.hardwoodstore.com

Thanks.
Cheryl

kernnal

New User
Eric
Thank you all for the replies. I will definateky check out all your suggestions.

I'm just trying my hand at some intarsia projects and really have no idea of exactly what woods I'm looking for. Just know I won't find it at the local Lowes....:gar-Bi

Thanks again,

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS