Seek Someone to Build TV Console/Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradesp

New User
Brad
Hi All,

Below is a design I have in mind for a cabinet I'd like to have built for my plasma tv. I'm seeking someone in the RTP area who can build me something close to my designs, but that can also finish the piece similar to the black TV cabinet pictured below (built from Cherry and finished in Espresso/black).

The unit I seek is approx. 64" wide, 25" Tall and 18" Deep. The depth is a minimum, if we have to go a tad taller or deeper (up to 20" max) to accommodate minimum interior cabinet dimensions, that's ok.

I'm open on the wood selection, so long as it's reasonbly hard and tight grained. I don't want an overly soft wood, or a wood with a broad pattern. They used cherry in the piece below but I'm also working with a limited budget, so I'm open on more affordable wood choices.

Drawers - Please note, I prefer a blum style, undermount, full extension style hardware. The drawers on each of my designs are designed to hold two full rows of DVD's, so I need the full extension in order to make it easy to place and review the DVD's located in each drawer.

Please PM me if you're interested and would like to discuss my project.

Thanks!

bradesp - raleigh, nc

CustomDrawing1.jpg

Ivey_Lane_TV_Console_2.jpg

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I noticed in the picture the ends are raised panel, in your drawing that was not noted; Do we presume that raised panel end panels are included? Glass doors as shown?

bradesp

New User
Brad
I noticed in the picture the ends are raised panel, in your drawing that was not noted; Do we presume that raised panel end panels are included? Glass doors as shown?

Jack,

Thanks for asking.

NO GLASS DOORS.

Finish - Wife Explains to me tonight that it doesn't have to be black.. it can also be a nice warm cherry tone (like the photo below)

Regarding Side Panels and Doors - we're leaning towards a transitional, flat panel design. Similar to the one below. In fact, if this TV console from Kincaid had drawers in place of the open shelving my wife would have likely purchased this unit.

The other photo is the same furniture line, but the pic is of a China Base... almost exactly the layout we're looking for.

So Doors flat panel with tasteful ogee

Drawer Fronts - Flat

Side cabinet flat

Drawers and Doors Ideally "inset" for a nice furniture look

Detailing Style? - This is tough because my drawing implies clean/modern, but the picture below is more transitional.

Hope this helps!

Brad

KincaidTVChateauCabinet.jpg

KincaidChinaCheateauChinaBase.jpg

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I noticed that you have the door pulls in the upper corners towards the center of the entertainment center, but I think it might look a bit off in the final piece. I think the balance would be better if the pull was more vertically centered.

That said, furniture design is art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so there isn't a specific right or wrong.

Another consideration would be whether you ever plan on surround sound with the TV and whether your DVD player, receiver, etc will use IR signals or RF signals from the remote. IR needs direct line of sight for the remote to work.

A receiver in the cabinet will cause a lot of heat, so that may be a consideration. If you want a center channel speaker in the cabinet vs. on top, then that's another thing.

Not trying to knock you down or anything, just offering (hopefully) helpful suggestions/considerations.

My entertainment center in my bedroom is very similar to what you posted, and we've been really happy with it!

Ben

bradesp

New User
Brad
Ben,

Excellent points!

Regarding Audio gear and speakers... All my equipment is in a remote media closet, so the only gear in or on the cabinet will be the flat panel tv. That said, if we ever decide to locate audio gear in the cabinet in the future I will install PC style fans on the rear that are nearly impossible to hear, but that provide the ventilation required to keep the gear cool. I will also install a remote IR sensor that allows me to control the gear with the cabinet doors closed.

Regarding the center speaker, I agree, but the wife doesn't. It's all good though.. we have a "deal"... when watching movies. I drop my 120" projection screen down with full surround sound. When we watch TV (even one as big as 65") it's "just TV" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS