New Project - Natural Edge Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I was fortunate to get some Spalted Maple from a fellow NCWW'r by way of my dad(JCRAIG). This stuff is beautiful. My wife has always wanted to have a natural edge table so I am building one out of some of this spalted maple. This piece is by no means the prettiest of the wood that I got but is going to be very nice either way.. I started with this since I had to cut it off anyway in the milling process. I will be using more of this maple for another project. I need to go get some epoxy and fill that big crack on the one side of it.. I wish I had some nice walnut to go with it but for the time being I am going to use some pine that I have for the base and paint it or stain it very dark so that the top is the focal point.

Now the fun part. I need to have it done by Saturday so this means plenty of shop time for the next several days.

Here are a couple of pics of the top as is.......
IMG_01963.JPG

View image in gallery

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Thats a nice looking slice of stick you got there. Please post some progress pictures so we can see how it's going.:thumbs_up

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
That top should make a very nice, and interesting table. Another option to filling the crack w/ epoxy would be to use a butterfly, along the lines of a George Nakashima table. I like your idea of using Walnut for the base. I recently used Walnut as the base for a Cherry top dining table. The darker Walnut sorta blends into the background, letting the Cherry top be the focal point.

I look forward to seeing pics of the finished table.

Bill

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thats a nice looking slice of stick you got there. Please post some progress pictures so we can see how it's going.:thumbs_up

Not a problem.. Hopefully there will be plenty of updates since I am trying to complete it by Saturday morning.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That top should make a very nice, and interesting table. Another option to filling the crack w/ epoxy would be to use a butterfly, along the lines of a George Nakashima table. I like your idea of using Walnut for the base. I recently used Walnut as the base for a Cherry top dining table. The darker Walnut sorta blends into the background, letting the Cherry top be the focal point.

I look forward to seeing pics of the finished table.

Bill

I'll have to look at the butterfly option that would give some neat contrast to the top as well.. I would love to do Walnut on the base but time and funds probably will not allow this go round. I am however planning a Pie Safe that is Walnut framing and Spalted Maple panels. Hopefully going to try and start that later this month on vacation.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I had a little bit of time in the shop tonight. Enough time to get some pine milled up and cut into the rough first leg.

Here is what the pine looked like prior to milling....

After a little bit of time on the Jointer, planer and table saw I have this board.

It's some pretty nice pine. Now I just need to figure out if I am going to paint it or stain it dark.

I cut the board to the rough dimensions and put a spring joint on the boards. I guess I have been watching Rough Cut to much. :rotflm:

Its hard to see, but the spring joint is there......

Oh yeah and here is some of the fun with making the spring joint.

The side is now sitting in clamps and I will hopefully get the second side built tomorrow night.

I am planning on doing a through mortise and a wedge.. Just trying something new. trying to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS