Attention, Turners & Carvers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
My company is starting a project in CLT that involves removing some Poplar, Walnut & other trees. The property is an Historic Site and the Curator wants to have some bowls, spoons & possibly other utensils made from the wood. I explained that bowl turnings usually had to cure for up to 1 year before finishing & subject to checking. They are okay with that. As they have a very limited budget, they wanted to trade wood for the work. I cannot negotiate for them, but if you would be interested in doing some of this type thing, PM me with contact info to forward.

Glennbear

Glenn
Perhaps you might suggest pens to shorten the wait time between tree and finished project ? I am not set up yet to turn pens but maybe arrangements could be made with someone who is. I would think a historical site would be able to market pens to visitors easily to raise funds. :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Perhaps you might suggest pens to shorten the wait time between tree and finished project ? I am not set up yet to turn pens but maybe arrangements could be made with someone who is. I would think a historical site would be able to market pens to visitors easily to raise funds. :wsmile:
I think they were looking for items to display as replicas of early to mid 19th century housewares. I'll certainly pass along the pen idea. :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lots of folks turn green wood especially when it comes to bowls and then let them dry. Depending on wood and weather you are looking at 1-3 months log to finished bowl. Pen use smaller stock which will dry quicker but you still need to mill and prep the stock before it will dry properly. So pens vs bowls is almost a wash.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks. There is one very straight walnut ~14" in diameter that may be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS