Jelly Cupboard Build Updated 3/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I started working on a Jelly Cupboard for the house. I have been planning on doing this cupboard for a while not but never thought I had the skill and then didn't have functional tools. Well I finally bit the bullet skill or not how else am I going to learn. :)

Anyway.. Here are a couple of pics of the start of the project. I did a write up on my blog if you are interested but here are the picture from the milling process

IMG_3399_1024x768.JPG

View image in gallery

This last picture is a test joint for a ship lap joint that I am going to do for the back.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Re: Jelly Cupboard Build Started

Kevin,

Congratulations on getting started. Always try to work smart and safe at all times. If you have questions, just let us know.

Bob

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

I got some more time in the shop tonight as the wife was out of town still and was able to make some more progress.

I got the dados and rabbets cut on the sides. These are the first dados I have done. I used a router to create them. I don't know if I would do that again or not. I have a stacked dado set now but have not had time to play with it.

I dry fit the shelves to the side. It turned out pretty good. There is a little tweaking that needs to be done but not to much.

I also finished all the rabbets for the Ship lap joint back.

I am hoping to get this thing assembled and in paint by the weekend. I am going to be using milk paint on it. It will be interesting to see how that stuff goes on.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

Now you're getting there. Keep posting the pics. What kind of finish are you going to use? I used a milk paint in the buttermilk color. That stuff is great. Not the best pic but you get the idea.

Red

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

Red that is a nice cupboard.. Did you build that from a plan? I'm betting my wife would like one like that as well. This one is going to have a punched tin front on it and I am going to use milk paint sea green I think is the color. How did you apply the paint and did you put anything on top of it. Can you spray milk paint? I'm guessing you can but don't know what the results would be like.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Nice work, Kevin!

It's coming along quite nicely. Always kinda neat to see a project to the point that it is standing on its own two feet.:wsmile:
Keep the pictures coming. I really enjoy the work in progress reports!:icon_thum:icon_thum

The LOYL will display this piece proudly, I would bet.

Wayne

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

Thanks Wayne. Yeah I need to cut out the bottoms of the side for the decorative edge but should start finally assembly tonight. I just have to decide if I am going to paint the back a difference color than the outside and inside. I hope she likes it. I will keep the photos coming. I am trying to really document each of my projects as I go along so I can see them from start to finish and also see as I grow in skill(hopefully)...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

Did you have any trouble cutting the dados with a router? For me, it's the only way. So if you have any questions, maybe we can help.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

Red that is a nice cupboard.. Did you build that from a plan? I'm betting my wife would like one like that as well. This one is going to have a punched tin front on it and I am going to use milk paint sea green I think is the color. How did you apply the paint and did you put anything on top of it. Can you spray milk paint? I'm guessing you can but don't know what the results would be like.

I just took some rough measurements from an existing cupboard. As for the milk paint, two coats I think it was and sanded between coats. There is no top coat over the milk paint. The interior is just a danish oil finish on clear pine and it looks great.

Red

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

Did you have any trouble cutting the dados with a router? For me, it's the only way. So if you have any questions, maybe we can help.

Not really. The biggest issue I had was because the wood cupped a little bit on me and making sure I got the layout lines square I did a pretty good job. All the shelves seem to be pretty level side to side and front to back so I am pleased. I learned a few things to do differently next time so that is good. I do like doing them this way. I don't think I would have like trying to push those long sides across the table saw.

Thanks for the info Wayne. Were you able to get two coats from the one bag? What grit did you sand with between coats? I am actually going to stain a few spots before I paint it as I will be distressing it like I have done some of my other pieces. This is by far my largest undertaking to date..

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

I got a late start tonight and didn't get as much as I had wanted done.

She is all glued and clamped up. I am going to let it sit overnight and hopefully can get all the face frames attached tomorrow night. I have to also order some tin for the door and actually build the door.

I cut out the decorative bottom with the Jigsaw. I am horrible with that thing so I have a little clean up to do. Trying to decide if I should put a round over on it or not.

The mortises were just a little looser than I wanted them to be so I cut some shims and tightened them up. I will take a utility knife and cut the shims off after everything is dry.

and the biggest shock of all is the fact that my shelves were level. I totally didn't expect that and was okay with it since I haven't built anything like this before. All in all I am pretty happy with how this project is turning out.

navy1990

New User
Matt

Kevin,

It's looking like a really nice cabinet. I better not let my wife see this post or she'll have me making one. Oh wait...spending time in the shop, making sawdust to build something?...sounds like I might want her to peek over my shoulder from time to time when I'm on here.

Great work and the photos are great too.

Matt in Jacksonville

sjack

New User
jack

Thanks for the pics Kevin. Looks like you have nailed this project. Funny I have been wanting to build one like yours for years even the color of milk paint is what I want. Keep the pics coming.:thumbs_up

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking good, Kevin! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
As far as the round-over on the bottom cutout, I'd say don't. Pieces like this were usually site or locally made and those craftsmen wouldn't have had access to routers & shapers. A nice soft sanded bevel should be all that's needed on any corners or edges. Milk paint is a good traditional finish for this project too. Hope to see it finished soon!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Dennis I tend to agree with you. When I saw the round over on the plans I didn't think it looked right and I wondered how someone building this would have accomplished that with out a lot of hand tools being lugged around. I think I will just do like you suggested and take the corners off. I am going to round the corners of pretty much everything else on it so I will just continue the theme there, especially with a 3 year old running around the house. I have enough sharp corners for him to run into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS