Disk vs combo vs edge sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
What does a disk sander do that the belt on a combo sander or edge sander wouldn't do? I'm sure as soon as someone tells me, I'll be embarrassed, But right now, I just don't see it

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a combo, and I am not thrilled with the disk. I want to get an oscillating belt/edge sander to replace the combo as I find I use the belt much more than the disk. Basically, I never use the disk.

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have all three machines, and they each have their place. Typically I keep a course grit on the belt sander, a medium grit on the edge sander, and a fine grit on the disc sander.

The nice thing about the disc is that you can vary the surface speed on the sandpaper by simply moving your workpiece closer to the center of the disc. There are times that I like the flexibility that this offers.

I probably use the disc the most for metal work (sharpening scrapers, removing dings from chisels, etc), and the belts more for woodwork.

T

toolferone

I tend to use my 12" for smaller items because more control with the item being pushed down on the table by the disc. I use my edge sander for larger items

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
What does a disk sander do that the belt on a combo sander or edge sander wouldn't do? I'm sure as soon as someone tells me, I'll be embarrassed, But right now, I just don't see it
I've had 2 disk/belt sanders (4x6 and 6x10). The advantage of the disk is that it pushes the workpiece straight down and has a relatively large table. I mostly used it for rounding over corners. I now have the Rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander and neither of the other two - that's all I need to say about the relative values of them :> I made a disk-sander wheel for the TS and pull that out whenever I need a disk sander...which is basically never.

M

McRabbet

I have a stationary 6"x48" belt/9" disk sander and normally keep the belt in a horizontal configuration. I use the belt for sanding flat surfaces and the disk for corner rounding on end grain, for squaring ends or for making scarf joints with a fence block where a repetitive shallow angle is important (e.g., overlapping small pieces for stringing for an inlay). The disk works real well for sharpening pencils, too!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am the ultimate cheapskate small shop guy. To me the disk's primary advantages are that it is cheap and small, often an add on to another tool. I had one on the side of a benchtop belt sander; I had one on the side of a scroll saw; I have a disk I can mount on the lathe. The only reason I can think of for someone with a larger shop and budget to have one is just so you can have more things set up at the same time to do something assembly line style. Scott's point about speeds is good, but the counterpoint to that is that you throw away a lot of unused abrasive in the middle of the disks.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
but the counterpoint to that is that you throw away a lot of unused abrasive in the middle of the disks.
I make my own disks. From Klingspor's sandpaper bin, I buy scraps of paper (12" wide in my case) for $1.50 a pound, less my discount. Using drywall circle cutter, cutting from the backside of the paper, I cut a bunch of disks. Then I place a piece of plywood, with a couple bricks over them to flatten them out. (Remember they were rolled up in the sandpaper bin.) Using spray adhesive I attach them to my sander. Total cost per disk, less than a quarter, so wastage isn't an issue. When I build my Toys for Tot's cars, I use my disk to clean up bandsaw marks on the curved portion of the body, plus clean up the flat surfaces. Because the body is supported by the table, this is fairly easy to do. I also use my disk sander to clean up bandsawn circles. Bruce

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have looked at it, and it's almost identical twin the Steel City. Either of them are in line with what I want to get. I have read comments on some of the older units being hard to get to 90 degrees, but nothing like that on the newer models.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I have looked at it, and it's almost identical twin the Steel City. Either of them are in line with what I want to get. I have read comments on some of the older units being hard to get to 90 degrees, but nothing like that on the newer models.
Right now the Jet is on backorder. The steel city is $200 more but has 2HP vs 1 1/2.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
On this size of an edge sander, I don't see that 2 HP is going to make much difference over a 1.5HP. Who knows, the HP ratings are probably over stated. I will have to check and compare the amperage ratings.

As for the Jet, I would think you could get 10 percent off at Woodcraft with their sale coming up.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As for the Jet, I would think you could get 10 percent off at Woodcraft with their sale coming up.
That's what I was thinking. I am also going to talk to klingspor and see what they got to say.

Perhaps, if we agree to buy at least 2 (anyone else interested??) we could get and even better deal.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That's what I was thinking. I am also going to talk to klingspor and see what they got to say.

Perhaps, if we agree to buy at least 2 (anyone else interested??) we could get and even better deal.

I very well may be interested.....Start the negotiations.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Steve,

Have you ruled out the Grizzly based on a bad review? I've been considering one.

Bob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve,

Have you ruled out the Grizzly based on a bad review? I've been considering one.

Bob

No, , but grizzly's lowest price for an oscillating edge sander is $1285 + shipping. I suspect that it is better than the jet one I quoted above, but I don't really need much.

I very well may be interested.....Start the negotiations.
Unless a whole bunch of people suddenly contact me I don't think we have enough interest for a group sale, in fact, I not sure I will buy one. Not because of the deals or price but becuase I'm not convinced that it is the best solution for my shop right now. But, in terms of price, the stars have come together at the right moment.

1. The sander won't be available until sometime after March 18th, when they are scheduled to arrive at Jet. At least 2 days after that before they can be shipped. Assume we probably wouldn't see one until last week of March.

2, They can be ordered now at a price of $899 plus some level of discount.

3. I will fill you all in tomorrow as soon as I check two more things. BUT I can promise there are goods deals available without even negotiating.:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS