1ST Grandchild Project (WIP) - Completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
We are being blessed with our first grandchild. Our oldest daughter is due in January 2010.

Among the many projects on the list was a baby cradle. I searched the web and found one that was published awhile back in Woodsmith magazine that she really liked. I ordered the plan and cheated a bit and also got the hardware kit that included the 22 turned oak spindles. Although I do have a lathe, I just couldn't see myself turning 22 identical spindles with any success!:eek:

My first challenge was to cut all of the adjoining rails and stiles for the end panels at precisely 15 degrees with mortise and tenon joinery. With a bunch of help from Joe Scharle and the Woodrat:widea:, we were successful in cutting perfect mortice's for the floating tenons and then it was onto cutting out the curved rails for the top of the end panels.

100_1213.jpg

With my decision to go with flat panels (options were plywood panel, raised oak panel or solid oak panel (no rails/stiles) I found that I needed another tool accessory! Off I went looking for a slot cutter to accommodate the not so ¼” oak plywood, It turned out to be 7/32”. With assistance from Raleigh WC, I was in business with the correct slot cutter and proceeded to get yet another lesson from Joe regarding safe freehand curved slot cutting at the router table.

All done a ready for the panels…

100_1221.jpg

The panels of course also had to be cut at close to that 15 degrees on the sides. Utilizing my Universal Crosscut sled and my new nifty digital protractor, they were a snap to cut!

100_1222.jpg

100_1224.jpg

100_1227.jpg

With the end panels all dry fitted, I though it was time to move onto the side rails.

All rails and stiles for the sides were cut to the final dimensions and this time I decided to not bother Joe and just go with 3/8” dowel joinery. Then onto drilling all 44 holes in the rails for the spindles.

100_12161.jpg

Needless to say the glueup was somewhat challenging in terms of aligning all of those spindles and drawing it all together.

100_12181.jpg

100_1220.jpg

Back to the end panels….

After the glueup had dried, I had shear off the “little ears” at the bottom of each end panel (stile ends).

100_1231.jpg

For this, I once again turned to the crosscut sled, held my breath (no guard!) and they sheared off without incident.:elvis::icon_cheers (Gotta love that Universal Crosscut Sled!)

100_1235.jpg

Next. Drilled and countersunk all the holes necessary to attach the side rail frames, Chucked up a ¼” roundover bit in the Colt and profiled the edges.

100_1239.jpg

100_1241.jpg

And this is where I stand so far after more sanding and dry fits.

100_1253.jpg

100_1252.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow, I will get the basket bottom cut and next week start work on the uprights, stretcher and feet.

It’s been a fun project so far ……

Thanks for looking!

Wayne

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: 1ST Grandchild Project (WIP)

Looking great!

That will be a family heirloom for many generations to come.

M

McRabbet

That is going to be a beautiful crib, Wayne. Congratulations on the forthcoming addition to the family -- your daughter and SIL will be very pleased that you've made this heirloom for their new Princess. Kudos to Joe for his help, too!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Wow that looks very good,

And great step by step with all those wonderful pictures.

YOU ROCK~!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Thanks for sharing this Wayne. That is a great looking crib. Congrats on the new addition to the family and your craftsmanship will definitely be appreciated and valued for generations to come. :icon_thum

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

It's all coming together nicely!
Freehand curved slot cutting is different w/o a crutch (I mean fence).....Right!:gar-Bi

But you're in business now.
And thanks for showing me the tape trick.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member

WOW, very nice work. :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

That's an interesting looking crosscut sled. Is that your design or from plans?

Brian.

sawduster

New User
Robert

Wow ! :eek: Way over my head bro :embaresse

Nice work and really good WIP pics . Man that is gonna be a treasure for years to come :icon_thum

congrats :banana:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

WOW, very nice work. :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

That's an interesting looking crosscut sled. Is that your design or from plans?

Brian.

Thanks Brian!

The sled was actually built from a plan published in Wood magazine awhile ago. It has proven to be an invaluable jig around my shop for cutting tricky angles, small workpieces etc.. Here is a little better picture of the sled by itself.

Universal_Jig_1.JPG

(Let me know (via PM) if you are interested in a copy of the plan.)

Thanks again,

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

It's all coming together nicely!
Freehand curved slot cutting is different w/o a crutch (I mean fence).....Right!:gar-Bi

But you're in business now.
And thanks for showing me the tape trick.

:rotflm::rotflm:

Thanks Joe! And. Yes the double stick tape and backer block sure resolved any end tearout issues.

The worst was trying to refrain from too much burning as I repositioned the push pad as I cut the slot. Stopped a couple of times way to long to reposition!

Kathy asked if something was burning in the garage!!!!!:gar-La;:gar-La; No honey, just a little red oak!!:wsmile:

Wayne

Last edited:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member

Wayne, thanks for the xtra pic. :thumbs_up

That looks real useful and doesn't appear too awfully complicated to make with the "proper" tools. While not something I have an immediate need for, least not that I'm aware of :gar-La;, it's something I can think of uses for. Thnx for the offer and PM sent. :icon_thum

Brian.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Wow Wayne, that looks outstanding! I think the flat panels were the right choice, raised panels would have been too busy, IMHO, and detract from the spindles.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: 1ST Grandchild Project (WIP) - Updated 10-31-09

Well. As of this evening I can report a wee bit more progress on the cradle project.

I figured that it was time to move on to the uprights, stretcher and feet that are going to hopefully tie all of this together.
I rough cut the uprights, established a center line for the curve template and to locate the center line of the tenon on the upright as well as the through mortise in the upright and foot.

100_12671.jpg

Success. They actually do fit!!!

100_1274.jpg

With Joe’s assistance (AGAIN!) and that great Woodrat, we cut the through tenon for each end of the bottom stretcher.

100_12881.jpg

Today, I managed to jump onto the bandsaw and begin shaping the feet and uprights. After a rough cut with the bandsaw, I did some pattern routing with the template and the Bosch Colt and pattern bit.

Cutting_Shaping_Feet_2.jpg

Cutting_Shaping_Uprights.jpg

And the end result of the feet ....

Cutting_Shaping_Feet.jpg

Next was putting the final profile onto the sides of the feet and uprights, using a 1/4” round over.

Feet_Profiled.jpg

Routing_Upright_Profiles.jpg

After some very light sanding, I tried a dry fir of the feet, uprights, stretcher and stretcher cap. All seems to fairly well.

Dry_Fit_Uprights.jpg

At this point, I decided to call it a day and left it dry fitted with the basket actually able swing in the uprights.

Complete_DryFit.jpg

Perhaps tomorrow I will shape the stretcher and move onto more sanding, installing the pendulum dowels and knobs and swing locking knobs.

The latest request from the LOML is to have it all done in time for a planned baby shower, the 1st week in December. Barring any major issues, I may just make it!!!!

Thanks for looking!

Wayne

Last edited:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart

Wayne, you're doing a great job on that cradle. I built one six years ago from the same plan (pic in my gallery). I modified the plan so that I could use a full size cradle matteress (18 x 36) so the baby would not outgrow it as quickly. My granddaughter slept in it for about 6 months. My grandson came along 3 years later and did the same. It's seen it's last use until maybe my great grandchild because my daughter says, "that's all folks".

kmcardle

New User
Kevin

Wow, my first visit as a member and my first visit to the forums is looking at your wonderful project for you new grandchild. That craddle will certainly be an heirloom. Thank you for sharing all the detailed photo's. I wish I had done this for my grandchildren when they were born. Thank you!!:gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Wow, my first visit as a member and my first visit to the forums is looking at your wonderful project for you new grandchild. That craddle will certainly be an heirloom. Thank you for sharing all the detailed photo's. I wish I had done this for my grandchildren when they were born. Thank you!!:gar-Bi

Thanks so much for the feedback, kmcardle!!:icon_thum

How about stopping in at the "Who We Are" forum and introducing yourself to our membership?

Yes. I have four daughters and hope that this cradle will see plently of use over the next few years.

Thanks again for looking!

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Wayne, you're doing a great job on that cradle. I built one six years ago from the same plan (pic in my gallery). I modified the plan so that I could use a full size cradle matteress (18 x 36) so the baby would not outgrow it as quickly. My granddaughter slept in it for about 6 months. My grandson came along 3 years later and did the same. It's seen it's last use until maybe my great grandchild because my daughter says, "that's all folks".

Yep. That's it, Stuart (from Woodsmith)!

Yours sure looks great done in cherry!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc The wood has taken on a whole new patina, I'll bet.

Very, very nice!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS