Today I joined an unfortunate club (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Today I joined an unfortunate club in that I’m now missing a portion of my thumb due to a power tool accident. I was working on my table saw and jointer/planer dressing a few boards for a small project and as most stories go “ I was on my last board”. Making my last pass when it began to kick back due to some knot wood, but not real hard. I shut the machine down, back it out slightly, held steady pressure down on the board waiting for the blade to stop turning, when suddenly one of the push sticks gave way (broke in half) and my hand moved in a forward motion, right down onto the blade. Even though it had slowed down considerably, it took a good portion of end of my thumb off. I only live a short distance from the ER, so I was able to get care right away, but I’m still missing a 45 degree slice from the opposite corner of the nail, down to the knuckle, many stitches, part of the bone (the rest is fractured) and all of my pride.
The most important is the lessons I can share to all. Please use good quality safety equipment, not cheap/discount plastic stuff from freight outlets. Make sure all manufacturers guards work properly, mine has been sticking lately. Stop between cuts and plan the next carefully, considering all possible hazards. Looks like I’m in for several trips to the doctor’s for reconstruction, but all and all it could have been worse, I didn‘t lose it totally. Hope this helps whoever reads this. Jim

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Ouch, sorry to hear about your accident, but thanks for posting this as a reminder to all of us to be safe. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
DANG,I hate to hear about this also.I will say a little prayer that you heal up with minimal problems.So just take care of it and get well soon.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jim, my heart goes out to you, but I'm glad to hear that it wasn't worse.

Your experience is one of the reasons why I try to avoid tools from the "freight outlets", so to speak. Life's too short as it is.

Best wishes for a speed recovery.

Scott

Deano

New User
Deano
I am truly sorry to here of your miss fortune; I hope all goes well with reconstruction of your thumb and that you are able to continue with your saw dust pile soon. Regards Deano :wsad:

RandyJ

New User
Randy
So sorry to hear of your misfortune, Jim. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Thanks for the reminder that we all need to be very careful around our shop machines.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Yep, broke at the handle, I could see the the casting flaw, although could have cracked from dropping. Who knows. Jim

It's not just a "freight outlet" push stick. Klingspor and Woodcraft both sell that same one.

Good luck on the recovery.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Jim, sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Brian.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Jim, as a member of the "club" I feel your pain. The worst part is I have a few of the same push sticks:elvis::elvis:. Or should I say I "had" a few of them:confused_. Hope you heal completely.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
hope the recovery is speedy. but look at it this way.... you did everything right and only got bit because of a faulty push stick. hard to foresee that happening. most of my accidents were caused by carelessness. no excuses for that.:nah:

M

McRabbet

Jim,

Very sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. Sadly, most of the routine "push sticks" have an inherent flaw -- if they fail, the hand that held them moves forward and down into the very blade one is trying to avoid. I prefer a pusher that allows one to maintain a forward push with no downward component. IMHO, the Gripper type push devices are quite safe although I don't own one (yet).

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Jim,

Ouch! So sorry to hear about your accident!
Let me know if I can do anything to help you while you are healing.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Jim, thanks for the reminder about safety. Can't hear that too often. I hope you heal soon!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
So sorry you had this happen to you.

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us. These hard, shared lessons are one of the ways we all learn to be safer woodworkers.

All the best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Jim

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
:eek: Sorry to hear this news, hope the recovery is speedy. :icon_thum I will be thinking of you.:eusa_pray

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS