new spring pole lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Made this spring pole lathe to turn my 7' bed posts... Finally got to use it today.
Gave up on the treadle wheel for now need to get back to the bed!
DSC_1441.JPG

View image in gallery

Here was my first and smaller lathe

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Roy would be proud of you !

I like the acanthus carving and initials on the upper arm. Nice job :thumbs_up

p

02blues

New User
john
Roy would be proud of you !

I like the acanthus carving and initials on the upper arm. Nice job :thumbs_up

p

Thanks guys. The carving and initials on that one are 50/50...look good from 50 feet while moving at 50Mph!!
:icon_thum

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Glad to see you back online!

That looks like a functional marvel!

How do you attach your tool rest to the 2x4 looking beam? I recall your modified handscrew clamp on the first one.

Jim

02blues

New User
john
Glad to see you back online!

That looks like a functional marvel!

How do you attach your tool rest to the 2x4 looking beam? I recall your modified handscrew clamp on the first one.

Jim

Well, Like most of my projects I build them on the fly and they frequently don't look like I planned them. Something breaks and I make a better trap. I ended up making a tool rest that spans the length of the lathe with its top endge at the level of the dead centers. Always hate moving the tool rest. It is working ok but might need some support as it is 7ft long and adds a bit of motion. Hear is a close up. I nailed my story board to the front of the tool rest...
Thanks Jim.:icon_thum

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, gotcha. That is a great idea. Solves the complexity of a flat bed too.

In the next lathe you build.... you might try using a 7' I-beam. In this case, add some 1x2 at the top and bottom. I'm sure real engineers can help. But while reading a childrens book on the basics of engineering in buildings (I gotta start slow), I learned how I-beams work. Might help with the deflection without going to a 6x6 :)

Jim

02blues

New User
john
Ah, gotcha. That is a great idea. Solves the complexity of a flat bed too.

In the next lathe you build.... you might try using a 7' I-beam. In this case, add some 1x2 at the top and bottom. I'm sure real engineers can help. But while reading a childrens book on the basics of engineering in buildings (I gotta start slow), I learned how I-beams work. Might help with the deflection without going to a 6x6 :)

Jim

I always enjoy your e mails and humor. If I could weld I might place a 7' steel I beam in there...
Would like to pick up those skills and blacksmithing someday. I can only be incompetent in one area at a time. Too much pride. As it evolves I added a mid support for the 7' tool rest. I think it is still too far from the work though and plan to add another length on top to get the tool closer to the work.

If I cant tune it it goes in the fire... speaking of which we had a great fire last night using the mahogany shavings from the bed as kindling. :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS