Making boards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I am starting a new project and thought I'd share what I've done so far.

Dennis (Gotcha6) was kind enough to let me gain some red oak from his mis-fortune. (Thanks Dennis!!!

I started splitting the log.

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

Riven boards. I really need a froe and I think I have a line on one at a great price --- FREE!:gar-Bi
IMG_08871.JPG

Forgot to add the broad ax pics, but then I started with the fore plane (scrub)

IMG_08881.JPG

Then checked flatness with the winding sticks. I pretty happy so far!

IMG_08901.JPG

More to follow, but I need the boards to season for a week or two!

Any guesses on what I'm making?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
You've got more patience than I do! Nice work sir and what a way to make good out of someone's misfortune!

I'm guessing a chair ?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

nelsone

New User
Ed

Ding, Ding, Ding! You win!!! Sorry, the prize isn't anything more than me going Ding, Ding, Ding!:gar-Bi

Shavings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

Yep, making plenty of those too!

That guy is serious about it!

IMAG001A.JPG

I have been working on splitting saplings and I wish I had a froe. I have been using the "drive a wedge in the middle and work the crack to the end" method.

I split a pecan limb into 3 nice bow staves and thought this wasn't so hard after all:

HPIM0924.jpg

HPIM0937.jpg

Then I met this hickory sapling:

HPIM0933.jpg

Ay yi yi!

Yea, hickory isn't much fun to split!!!

CarvedTones

Andy
For my next trick, I am going to try to straighten one of the hickory pieces just to see if I can learn how. The hickory isn't worth it; another sapling like it is easy to come by. But I understand black locust likes to do that also, so if I am able to get a BL log one day I want to already know how to deal with it.

CarvedTones

Andy
We have seen your work; you definitely have the skills! The trick is finding the buyers, I think...

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Those pics will give you some good show-n-tell, for when you stop by St. Roy's place in Pittsboro. :widea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS