Shop screen door...WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I decided a good use of my shop time today would be to start working on a replacement screen door for my shop. The finger jointed pine one that I bought a Slowe's about 6 years ago is on it's last leg -

Shop_screen_door_004.jpg

It never really fit well and the screen is coming loose in several areas. This is my only window to the outside world in my shop and it is the most used door, by me, in the house.

I decided I would make it out of Cypress that I got from Ivey. I have never worked with Cypress before and thought that this would be a good opportunity.
I picked out two boards, one that was QS which will be my "stiles" and a flat sawn one that will be the "rails".

I decided to use loose tenon joinery for this project as I have limited experience with using it.

I made up a quick and easy jig to allow me to support my plunge router and use the edge guide to locate the mortises -

Shop_screen_door_001.jpg

Using this jig I was able to gang my "stile" pieces together and use only one set-up for both pieces.
It worked very well -

Shop_screen_door_002.jpg

It also worked excellent for the mortises on the ends of the "rails" -

Shop_screen_door_005.jpg

One added bonus that I didn't even think of was built in end stops. My mortises are 1½" deep, cut in two passes with a carbide up-cut spiral bit. Well the mortise depth was longer than the cutter length. I visually located the ends of the mortises on the first pass when there wasn't too much dust to allow me to see. On the second pass the bit shank contacted the end of the mortises and wouldn't let me go any farther. Resulting in nearly perfect mortises.

The dry fit -

Shop_screen_door_006.jpg

Which turned out to be the biggest mistake I made. Everything fit together so tightly that I couldn't get it back apart to apply the glue without seriously marring the soft Cypress.
So I said screw the glue, clamped it all tight and pinned everything with some 3/8" dowel stock.

The door, ready for the rabbet to be cut to receive the screen, and some final sanding. -

Shop_screen_door_007.jpg

I plan to cut a ½" wide x ¼" deep rabbet to accommodate the screen material and fill it with Walnut strips for a nice contrast.

I can't decide it I want to finish the door or not. It isn't exposed to the weather as it is behind the metal exterior door to my shop. And even when the metal door is open there is a 30" roof overhang that keeps the water away from it. Not finishing it would make my life easier, but is that wrong? Will I wish that I had finished it later :icon_scra:eusa_thin:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Dave:)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sweet job! :eek:ccasion1

Those wouldn't happen to be "Wolfcraft" yellow quick clamps in that one pic would they?

I ask, as I have a pair that I just love. Never seen them since they came as part of some package.

As for a finish for cypress, most professional screen doorists seem to prefer a special French finish called "Une Pêche". I think its also good for shop floors.......

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are Wolfcraft quick grip clamps. I have had them for at least 6 years and they are the best ones I have found. Occasionally the clutch mech. doesn't engage and you just need to beat it on something hard and they will cooperate again.

As far as the finish, there is already too much Peach going on in my shop as is
:slap:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Dave: I'd go ahead and paint that door. Hit it with a good primer, maybe Kilz, and then a topcoat. I think you'll be much happier a year from now.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave: I'd go ahead and paint that door. Hit it with a good primer, maybe Kilz, and then a topcoat. I think you'll be much happier a year from now.

Paint :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Heck no, it will not be exposed to the weather and doesn't need that type of protection. At best it will get an oil finish, possibly some Poly, but more than likely it will be left natural...it's a shop door after all.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I can't decide it I want to finish the door or not.
Don't finish it. Next time you want to try out a new recipe, or have something left over you're going to throw away, use it on the door. Or, given the amount of traffic in your shop, ask every visitor to rub their hands over the door. It will build a wonderful finish that way.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Bud Light salutes you Mr. "Homemade screen door maker." When a simple trip to Lowes would quickly and easily fix your problem, you decide to endure long hours of agrivation, to finally end up with a way-too-fancy door made of cypress and walnut. (insert backup singer voice) "Why won't it close!!!????" So cheers to you oh sultan of the swingy screen. For without you, Lowes would make their money off of screen doors, rather than router bits. :eek:ccasion1

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bud Light salutes you Mr. "Homemade screen door maker." When a simple trip to Lowes would quickly and easily fix your problem, you decide to endure long hours of agrivation, to finally end up with a way-too-fancy door made of cypress and walnut. (insert backup singer voice) "Why won't it close!!!????" So cheers to you oh sultan of the swingy screen. For without you, Lowes would make their money off of screen doors, rather than router bits. :eek:ccasion1

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: Now that's too funny...I love those commercials.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member

Too funny, Trent! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
:gar-La; :gar-La; :gar-La; :gar-La; :gar-La; :gar-La; Oh man I can hear this one now.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Love the door, we just recently installed one on our screened-in-porch, but opted to use PVC to match everything else. I wanted to use wood, but it would have definitely not looked "right"

OK, interesting trivia (to me anyway)- Remember the group "Survivor"? (sang "Eye of the Tiger"). Their old lead vocalist is the guy that does this singing part on the bud light commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS