Harbor Freight Bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

New User
Dwight
I was at the Kannapolis Harbor Freight today and they had this saw on special for $300.
Has anyone had any experience with this or could you point me to someone who has.
Whats your opinion on this?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14" 4 Speed Woodworking Bandsaw[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2" Dust Collector Hook-up[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You won't find a better value on an industrial-quality bandsaw. Cut curves and compound curves up to 6'' thick in wood or plastic. Precision cast iron table tilts 45° for bevel cuts. Table groove allows accurate measurement with a miter gauge.
[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*]Speeds: 600, 1140, 1670, and 2670 FPM
    [*]Capacity: 6"
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frame-to-blade: 14''; Table: 14" x 14"; Overall dimensions: 24-1/2" x 19-1/2" x 65-1/2"
Shipping weight: 191 lbs.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ITEM 32208[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=32208
[/FONT]

scott

New User
scott
Lets try this again. My original reply got lost somewhere out in the ethernet.
Dwight
I know of several folks, myself included that had problems with Harbor Freight power tools/machinery. The short version is "you get what you pay for".
Hope this helps
scott

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I have a reliant BS, DD90 if I remember. It is pretty much the same.

It is not a bad saw but not a great one. The motors power is fair but I would not go to crazy or try to do the 6" lift on it for resawing.

So for a basic BS, maybe a first?, it is good. But I owuld get a 20% off coupon to bring the price down to a better level as at $300 you are very close to a good grizzly BS.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
I picked this saw up on ebay in like new condition for $100.00, it is a decent saw for the $ I spent.

Rob

New User
Rob
For $300 bones, I would keep an eye out on craigslist for a used Delta band saw. I haven't had much luck with HF tools lately.

Dwight

New User
Dwight
I appreciate the response from everyone, your right you do get what you pay for. Just trying to save a few bucks these days

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just be careful, Dwight.
"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Tarhead had one of those saws for a while, and liked it somewhat. Maybe he will enlighten us.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I appreciate the response from everyone, your right you do get what you pay for. Just trying to save a few bucks these days

Dwight,

You definitely get what you pay for. I'm not sure if you read the threads on the fiasco I've had with my HF lathe, but I would steer clear of anything with a motor from that place, and be very careful with anything else you purchase there. If you're willing to spend $300 dollars on a bandsaw, I would save up another hundred or two and get one from Grizzly, etc. MUCH higher quality, for a little more than you're talking about spending already. A bandsaw is precision tool that needs to work right. Don't waste your money on something questionable. HTH

Trent

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I replied to this earlier but it's gone?????
Yep, I had one prior to getting my 18in. Rikon and sold it to Gofor.
It will need some work to get it set up as it will be pretty rough when you assemble it. I would not recommend getting the riser attachment as it is underpowered for resawing anything other than Pine or Balsawood. You will be hardpressed to get enough tension on a 3/4in blade with the stock spring. The optional roller guides they used to sell work very well on it and make adjustments easy.

For a bit more than $300 I think you could do better with a used Grizzly or Delta. They show up very often here and on Craigslist.

Here's a recent thread with Gofor's review on my old saw:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...w-19715/?highlight=central+machinery,+bandsaw

Dwight

New User
Dwight
I replied to this earlier but it's gone?????
Yep, I had one prior to getting my 18in. Rikon and sold it to Gofor.
It will need some work to get it set up as it will be pretty rough when you assemble it. I would not recommend getting the riser attachment as it is underpowered for resawing anything other than Pine or Balsawood. You will be hardpressed to get enough tension on a 3/4in blade with the stock spring. The optional roller guides they used to sell work very well on it and make adjustments easy.

For a bit more than $300 I think you could do better with a used Grizzly or Delta. They show up very often here and on Craigslist.

Here's a recent thread with Gofor's review on my old saw:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...w-19715/?highlight=central+machinery,+bandsaw
Mark, I appreciate the info on this. I checked the thread and I have made a decision :thumbs_donot to go for the HF saw. :no:
I have waited this long to replace my say I might as well save a few more $ and go for quality, I know that I will be happier in the long run.

bwat

New User
Bill
Wise choice. With all the weight you've lost you can save a few hundred bucks in no time on food costs alone!:gar-La;

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
For $300 bucks, you can pick up a much better saw. Keep an eye out ... I've see many, many, many a Delta, Grizzly, Jet and like in that price range.

If you can get up to about $500, you'll see a noticable difference in quality too. The Rikon saws look decent. Yeah, they took shortcuts, but overall very impressive and you could probably find one in that price range.

Grizzly also has some good offerings. For less than $500 you could have this one in your shop. http://grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555 It is excellent for the money (just don't use they blade they provide!)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
At the $300 price point, I'd buy a used Delta, Jet or Grizz 0555 14". You've seen the CL links..you know they're out there (fwiw, I have two used 14" Deltas in my shop..one bought off NCWWer).

Can you wait for a used saw or do you have to have a saw right away ?

Pre-arranged NCWWer pony express might be able to help out transporting a saw from say Raleigh or Wilmington.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS