Pattern Makers Vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Anyone have this $200 pattern makers vise? I'd like some thoughts on the quality. At that price it's MUCH cheaper than similar clones (which are upwards of $600 - $800).

I came across it in a Popular Woodworking August 2002 issue and it caught my eye. Same price today as it was back then! Amazing.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2028
168042.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jeremy,

I'm fairly sure that David Norby (Nativespec) bought that vise, maybe he'll weigh in on it.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I have this vise and found it to be the best of the "knockoffs" out there after looking for an Emmert Vise for almost two years. Got mine from Highland about 4 years ago. Although it is Asian made HWW says it is based on the plans for the Emmert. Fit and finish are ok and everything works as advertised but you may, depending on the one you get, need to do some filing and lubricating to get everything working smoothly to the point you want. Minor issue in my case. You do have to have a substantial workbench or workbench top to mount this beast as it is heavy! You will need to cut a shallow mortise (like an inset door hinge) for the mounting bracket. Go to http://www.shavings.net/EMMERT.HTM or http://mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm for help with mounting instructions as the one from HWW does not help a lot as I recall. Hope this helps. Good luck

MikeH

New User
Mike
Jeremy,
I have a pattern makers bench so it would only be fitting for you to get two and I will keep one at my house with the bench. I'm sure my bench is lonely without its companion.
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
It looks very similar to the vise I have on the bench I purchased from Woodguy1975. This is a picture of the vise on another bench. Not sure where he got his. I love that vise!
completecherrybench.jpg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy,
I have a pattern makers bench so it would only be fitting for you to get two and I will keep one at my house with the bench. I'm sure my bench is lonely without its companion.
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Boy, that deal sounds good ... for YOU!:gar-La;

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Think I'm going to swing by Highland Woodworking while in Atlanta Friday ... only 4 miles from IWF, I think! :icon_chee

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Jeremy, I am originally from Waynesboro, Pa where the Emmert vise was manufactured. My father bought one of the original 13" ones and I grew up using it. I sold it because the screw was worn very badly and I didn't know where to get parts.
This replacement looks just like what we had. Mounting is difficult. The bench thickness under the hinge plate was thin in my opinion, and it took a bunch of cutting on a 1 3/4" bench to install it. Notice on those link pictures the radius that much be cut in the bench.
I thought at one time there was an Emmert clone that was made from aluminum. Seem to remember it had a better mounting and would be lighter.

Would advise you to look at one before you buy it.

One last thing, they work great and are worth all the mounting trouble.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I have had one of these clones from Woodcraft for years and really like it. Comes greasy like a big Christmas ham and takes forever to clean. Then you need to take sandpaper to it and file the ragged edges. Go hire a small boy to hold it in place while you fit it to your bench because it is HEAVY.

As far as vises go, it rocks. Good luck with yours.

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
I used one daily years ago in pattern shop. i would not buy an aluminum one. Great vise if near the original. Harry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
While at Highland Hardware in Atlanta ... I just went ahead and did it. I figured I was there, why not. :thumbs_up Now I just need to build a bigger, better, heavier, wider, stronger bench because that bad boy weighs a lot! Holy smokes!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Congratulations! Post a pic when you have it installed. I think yoiu will like it.

I definitely will ... but it'll be a while. I'll have to find some SYP, or something similar, to build a bench with. I think this will be my fall, or winter, project -- after the rocking chair!

T

toolferone

This the vise from Lee Valley Vertias.

It looks very similar to the vise I have on the bench I purchased from Woodguy1975. This is a picture of the vise on another bench. Not sure where he got his. I love that vise!
completecherrybench.jpg

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
They actually sell SYP in the Lowe's (or the HD across the street) by me (Providence exit on 485). Not sure if the pricing is any good.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Yeah ... I knew it would happen too. I've heard so many swear by them and I often find my regular "wood vice" not sufficient, or less then convienent. This is a bit of an investment in the shop.

After hearing the comments here, and reading some great reviews online, and then talking to the young guy at Highland who owned it along-side an Emmert (sp?) and said they were so close it couldn't be worth the price difference ... I decided to jump. I can't wait to build a bench for it.

As for SYP ... I'm aware of the BORGs selling it, but I too am not sure of the price -- but I bet I can do better. Any of the sawyers around here have any dry, or drying, SYP -- or something equivalent that would work well for a bench in the moderate to low price point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS