Delta 20" Planer Model# RC-51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Does anyone have this Model RC-51 or know someone who has one. If so does it do the work required of it. I found one for sale, but cannot find it on the DeltaMachinery.com site or any other. The most is the blades. If I can't find out anything about this I have no desire to purcahse it. Need help!:5help::5help::?:

220Volt
20" Planer
Used 3 times
Terry

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That thing looks like a serious beast! when you get it, you will probably have to build a DC hood for it to funnel chips into your dc system.

I found one on eBay right here. for a measly $42508-O

let's see if I can copy the description here:
Delta RC-51 20 in. Thickness Planer
No. 22-461 20 x 9 in. capacity thickness planer featuring:
Power rise and fall table
four point table support
Twin bed rolls both power driven
Lumber gauge
Rear pressure bar and double outfeed
Four knife heads with quick setting knives
6" chute for dust extraction
Min. thickness 1/8 in.
Min. length of stock 11 inch
Feed rate 16/28 ft/min.
Cutter head speed 5000 RPM
Overall dimensions 36" wide x 35" deep x 42 in. high
1270 lbs. unskidded
5 HP single phase drive

Last edited:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Is that the one way up in Canada being sold for $2500? If it is, it is listed as "rebuilt" and is 3 phase. Other than that, it looks like a nice industrial machine with a huge 10 hp motor*, powered up/down table height and variable speed feed. Looks like most of these are 3 phase. *It might be 550 volts also.

That is about the same price as a new lower end Grizzly 20" but a lot cheaper than the comparable Grizz Extreme 24", the Delta RC-63D, or anything with that size motor. for that price you could add a Shelix cutter and have a super machine that could do some serious planing.

Here is another one on Ebay for $2550- 7.5 hp, 3 ph, in Oregon

Here is another (a 20" Invicta/Delta, model?) a little closer in Ohio, on Ebay with a "buy it now" of only $1495

EX-factory has a couple listed.

Here is another Canadian one, 10 hp with blade grinder attached, but 550 volt, 3 ph, and a bit tired looking, for $2100.

Mike's Tools carries manuals, parts diagrams, and maybe parts so rehabbing might not be too bad.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
That thing looks like a serious beast! when you get it, you will probably have to build a DC hood for it to funnel chips into your dc system.

I found one on eBay right here. for a measly $42508-O

let's see if I can copy the description here:

That's the beast and it comes with the Hood. But the one I can get ahold of is a steal if I decide to get it! And I mean a steal!
Terry:icon_thum

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Is that the one way up in Canada being sold for $2500? If it is, it is listed as "rebuilt" and is 3 phase. Other than that, it looks like a nice industrial machine with a huge 10 hp motor, powered up/down table height and variable speed feed. Looks like most of these are 3 phase.

About the same price as a new lower end Grizzly 20" but a lot cheaper than the comparable Grizz Extreme 24", the Delta RC-63D, or anything with that size motor. for that price you could add a Shelix cutter and have a super machine that could do some serious planing.

Here is another one on Ebay for $2550- 7.5 hp, 3 ph, in Oregon

Here is another a little closer in Ohio, on Ebay with a "buy it now" of only $1495

Mike's Tools carries manuals, parts diagrams, and maybe parts so rehabbing might not be too bad.
This one is here in Fayetteville!

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
This one is here in Fayetteville!

Offer him $2000 and see if he bites. It is only money. Don't know about the condition, etc, but features vs cost, it looks like a great deal, especially if only single phase= not sure but you may need a 50 amp circuit for that 10 hp motor!

Used only 3 times??? A lot of those "industrial" machines were used in commercial shops.

What is his phone number, I'll ask about the machine for you? :lol::lol::lol: Hmmm, I wonder if my hoist will handle the weight?

When I was looking for similar units I saw a set of blades (4) for a mere $200+ 8-O

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Offer him $2000 and see if he bites. It is only money. Don't know about the condition, etc, but features vs cost, it looks like a great deal, especially if only single phase= not sure but you may need a 50 amp circuit for that 10 hp motor!

some of these are also equipped with a 5hp single phase motor. $2K would be an attractive offer, but why pay that much if you don't have to???

Used only 3 times??? A lot of those "industrial" machines were used in commercial shops.

perhaps it was three times ---- each time running continuously for months on end?

What is his phone number, I'll ask about the machine for you? :lol::lol::lol: Hmmm, I wonder if my hoist will handle the weight?

1250 lbs before paletizing? and sure, you will ask about the machine:lol:

When I was looking for similar units I saw a set of blades (4) for a mere $200+ 8-O

I think they are available for less, unless that was carbide?

IF Terry gets this, he may well earn the SOtY award.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks Bruce, I knew they couldn't be that bad, but I couldn't remember the name, and don't have it bookmarked here.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I was able to talk with the individual who has this Planer and will meet with him 12/11/07 at 3PM.
This is a 1987 unit with less than 10 Hours of operation
220 Volts Single Phase 40 Amp
Has extra Blades
Weight is 840 Pounds
Cost= PM me! Under 1K
I will not be able to get at this time, but I will give everyone a chance to steal this unit if interested. If I see there is something wrong with this unit I will post further.
So if you need a large planer, now is the time for the steal of the year!
Terry:crybaby2::icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
wow! Does that thing plane both sides? If so, count me as interested if your aren't going to do the deal. Thanx.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
A crime is about to be committed! Stop, thief!!!! Wow, what a deal!!!!! :eusa_danc

Thoughts about wide planers- I have had to rip trim some boards to fit in my 15" planer, so a 20" would be better . . . but how much better? How many boards do you work with that are wider than 15"? How about a wide glue-up you say. Well, depending on the eventual width of the panel you may need to plane and glue up in sections anyway, like a lot of the guys are doing with their bench tops. What is the typical width of glued-up panels you use?

So what is the optimum width for a thickness planer? If you are careful with alignment during your glue-ups and/or have a wide-belt sander, then you can live with a narrower planer. :-D

All that being said, I'll take that planer, especially for under $1k!!!! Of course I would need to spend some more for a Shelix. My hoist will handle 840#

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I currently have a 15", but there have been many many times I have wished I had a 20. Wide boards (much scarcer now), wide glue ups, but more so for being able to plane multiple boards at one time. The only gotcha for multiple boards at a time is a segmented infeed roller to me. My 15" has a solid infeed and it can be a hassle to plane more than 1 board at a time because of it.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Not trying to steal the thread but...:-D

Alan, just a IMHO on 15" vs. 20", so much furniture is between 17" and 20" wide, dresser, chest of drawers, blanket chest, sofa table, bedside table, panels and the list goes on and on. If you make much furniture the 20" really does make a difference. Of course if you use ply it does not matter.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Not trying to steal the thread but...:-D

Alan, just a IMHO on 15" vs. 20", so much furniture is between 17" and 20" wide, dresser, chest of drawers, blanket chest, sofa table, bedside table, panels and the list goes on and on. If you make much furniture the 20" really does make a difference. Of course if you use ply it does not matter.

As long as I'm careful with the alignment during glue-up, my dual drum sander handles the wider stuff.

Terry- we've been waiting for your inspection report:-D

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I met with the individual yesterday and here are the stats:
It does NOT have a segmented infeed roller only the serated spiral.
Tables are flat
A little rust opn table but did not see any pitted areas. What little is there can be removed.
Very good condition
Located in his wood workshop which is WELL BLESSED with equipment. He showed me some of his block planes he makes and I wanted to droll. They are awesome. SO if interested PM me and I will give you the price if you haven't already received it! Terry

This is a 1987 unit with less than 10 Hours of operation
220 Volts Single Phase 40 Amp
Has extra Blades
Weight is 840 Pounds
Cost= PM me! Under 1K

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
The Planer has been spoken for by one of our own and I will leave that individual a susprise until he can Gloat about it. He won the Brass ring. He will be here tomorrow and I will take him to get it as he has spoken with the present owner. Terry:crybaby2::icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS