Need Ceiling mounted hanging outlet (240V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

New User
Joe
I have to move my table saw to the middle of the garage. I need to run the wiring from the existing 240V wall outlet up into the ceiling and across. I would like to have one of those hanging outlets drop down from the ceiling a few feet so I can just reach up and plug in the saw when I use it. Can anyone tell me where I can find one of these outlets? I tried HD and Lowes but they don't carry them. I searched Graybar's online catalog but couldn't find them there either.:BangHead:

Does anyone have something like this rigged up that can give me some advice?

mburke911

New User
Mark
hi,
Depending on the voltage of the outlet you could purchase a standard 120V real and put new plugs on each end. Grizzley sells a good 12/3 real (its really 12/3 the whole way though). Be careful when you buy one that it isn't 12/3 to the real then the real plug is 14/3 or even 16/3. Totally defeats the purpose.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Joe,
When I had my shop in the garage, the electrician just ran conduit from the breaker box across the ceiling to a box. Then dropped a 12g cord down about 3-4ft with a plug on the end. I just plugged in the saw there. The shop I'm in now has a drop basicly the same thing with heavier wire and a cable loop at the ceiling to prevent pulling the cord out of the box. Course this drop is from about 14' vs the 8.5' ceiling the garage.
I wouldn't do a cord reel type for this purpose esp. a 220V. I've heard that they can heat up with too much cord on the reel and possably cause a fire. If I was in Charlotte I'd send ya a pic.
Rob

Badabing

New User
Joe
Thanks everyone! These replies are a great help:eusa_danc

I thought there was a whole kit available that had a reinforced cord that dropped from the ceiling box with a locking outlet on the end. It seems I may have just imagined this because I can't find anything similar online at all. So, from the suggestions here, I think what I'll do is pick up some of the locking outlet/plug parts at HD or Lowes and rig it up myself. I'll post some pics when I'm done :bcool:

M

McRabbet

Joe,

What you need is a Kellem Grip. These are strain relief devices that look like a "chinese finger cuff" and that have a standard sized bushing at one end (1/2" or 3/4" conduit bushings that connect into the ceiling box cover), and a wire mesh that grips the drop cord. They are made for this purpose. At the end, you should install an appropriate NEMA L5 or L6 twist lock cord receptable for your plug-in. Assuming this is to replace a 240V/20A or 30A cord, I recommend using 10 gauge cord. Size the Kellem grip to the cord. You should find these at an electrical supply, but remember they are sized to the diameter of the cord to insure the proper grip.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
The Borgs don't carry the Kellem Grip mentioned, you could go to an electrical supply if you have one handy or order online from MSC Direct. I assume you could also get it from Grainger if you're a business or trade customer. This is what I used:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1941839&PMT4NO=33331486

I got the cord (10-3 black extension cord) and locking plug and receptical from HD and then ordered this in size to fit. Once I had the cord in hand I measured the outside diameter to get the right grip size. Sorry, I don't remember the size I used, but you would be better to measure the specific cord that you purchase.

While I was at it I bought a long 12ga extension and got a second grip for that. Dropped it at the center post in my basement and now I have a handy extension that'll reach anywhere in the shop.

Mike

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As a tempory, you could mount an eyebolt in the ceiling. Pass the cord through it prior to adding end. Tag it to the eyebolt with a tie strap. Not a permenent fix, but totally servicable. Be sure to use twist lock plugs. Strain reliefs is another term for "chinese fingers." SJO cord from borgs is suitable fro this purpose

Nativespec

New User
David
I have my outlets mounted on the ceiling and just make my own drop cords from romax and they sit just above head level. The flexiblity is good when boards are being swung around the shop. You don't have to use romax, I just had plenty of it.

David

Badabing

New User
Joe
Some great ideas have been coming in, I'm really glad I asked about this here! So here is an update on what I'm doing...

Went to HD and bought all the stuff needed to run the line ($75):

You can see I've got twist lock plugs and a round ceiling mount box. The guy at HD told me that since it's a 20 amp circuit, 12/3 wire would be fine for the run. However, I'm using round 10/3 wire for the drop from the ceiling box simply to hold the weight of the cord better. It will be secured with a compression fitting at the box. The guy said it will be very strong but if I'm not happy with it, I'll get one of those Kellem grips or strain relief sleeves.

I should be done today sometime and I'll post more pics. I ran into a snag last night otherwise I would have been done already :-( I just couldn't get the wire up through the wall...I ended up having to cut a whole to get past the blockage:

One more trip to HD this morning for conduit connectors should be all it takes to get this finished completely! :roll:

Thanks for the help everyone!

Badabing

New User
Joe
Done!: Need Ceiling mounted hanging outlet (240V)

Finished this up today. Here are some pics if anyone is interested. All in all, it turned out great but I'm gonna be sore tomorrow :cry: I had to do it all myself and pulling wire is no fun alone. It was worth it though :icon_thum:eusa_danc My saw is where it needs to be :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks for the great advice and info everyone!:-D

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Joe,
Tell me about pullin wire! This afternoon I helped the electrician pull 4 strands of #6 wire, 80ft through (3) 90's and several bends. It was not an easy task. The good part was that went we got it pulled my wide belt sander came to life.:-D
Rob

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Joe,
Tell me about pullin wire! This afternoon I helped the electrician pull 4 strands of #6 wire, 80ft through (3) 90's and several bends. It was not an easy task. The good part was that went we got it pulled my wide belt sander came to life.:-D
Rob
First, why four strands of #6? Two hots, a neutral and a ground I suppose. Unless code has changed and it may have, ground could have been a #10. That is the way the sub panel in my addition is fed. Also, bet you scrimped and used 3/4" conduit, instead of 1"

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
No it was 1" conduit and it was a lic. electician. The ground could have been smaller and I didn't pick-up on it.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS